Tyres & Wheels Spare wheel - confused!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by arahman, Tuesday 4th Oct, 2016.

1. arahman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    OK, so I've never had to buy a spare wheel before, all my previous cars had a full size or space saver so never researched it before. I'm not comfortable with the repair kit they gave and I'd much rather get a spare wheel for peace of mind.

I've read a few threads here but unfortunately I'm quite confused about what I should be looking for. The sticker on my door pillar says '225/50R17 98V' but I'm not sure how to relate that to the wheel I need to buy. My car has standard 17" alloys.

My car has standard 17" alloy wheels.

My car has standard 17" alloy wheels.

Can someone give some guidance on what I need to do next?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I assume you mean a full size spare as opposed to a space saver.
    The R17 in 225/50 R17 means 17" alloy, so you a 17" wheel with a 225/50 tyre on it.

3. arahman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    Yes, I'm looking for a full size spare

In terms of getting the correct size rims, is there anything specific I need to check for on the car?

Based on what I've seen in other threads, I'm searching on Buy cheap tyres online @ Mytyres.co.uk - tyre dealer for car and budget tyres
    - - - Updated - - -
    Can't find an edit button...

I also wanted to add - since the car isn't spaced out for a full size spare, is there any thing I can do to avoid the boot carpet becoming bumpy? e.g. if I get 16" alloys, will it make a difference, both in terms of storing it properly and the drive when using it?

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Why not try one of your existing wheels in the spare wheel well, just to see if you like how it fits? Then you can buy an identical secondhand one from eBay.

That's what I did, but I have 16" wheels.

5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Or give HH a call and get a genuine space saver what I did.
    It's the perfect fit for the car and now I'm tempting fate but in 5years of owing the car Iv nether used it.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Last edited: Wednesday 5th Oct, 2016
    Zebster likes this.
  7. arahman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    Thanks @SpeedyGee, will give this a go. The only thing I don't get so far is if I can get any 17" alloy and it will fit my wheels or if there's a Honda spec I need to make sure it matches.

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    You have the make sure it's Honda spec even if it's not actually Honda. The bolt pattern, the size of the centre hole etc all matter so don't just buy anything

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Any old 16" or 17" Honda 5 stud wheel will do as a spare... The actual tread radius isn't very different. But I'd want the exact same wheel for my spare as the road wheels, if it would fit. I've had to use mine on three separate occasions in the last year!

10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Zebster likes this.
  11. arahman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    Thanks MickyB, I'm gonna be checking some local shops first, there's a few where I am.

Looking at the brochure on this site (great resource collection btw), it says the wheel size is 17x7 1/2J, hopefully they'll know what that means and get me the correct fit

Cheers

MickyB likes this.
  12. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
  13. arahman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    Hey John, I've compared the difference via https://www.sizemytires.com/calculators/compare and it doesn't look like it would be a safe match with the rest of my tyres (225/50R17). I've also done a few measurements in the boot and at the smallest point the wheel area is 23" across so it looks like a full(ish) size will not actually fit.

I'm tempted at this point to go with the Honda original space saver set, not ideal but at least I can be confident it will fit and be safe when used.

Any recommendations where to pick this up from?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. arahman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    Thanks @Ichiban, this site has some great resources. I'm gonna give Holdcroft Honda a ring and see what they quote me

Ichiban likes this.
  16. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Make you right, but bear in mind that even a genuine spacesaver will restrict you to 50mph, I think, and are only intended to get you to your friendly tyre sales outlet. I will measure my space saver tomorrow and compare the rolling diameter with my stock 17"'s

17. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Measured the diameter of the space saver and it is 23", so your well will accept one, the diameter of the stock wheels is 27" so you will be lop sided if you have to fit the space saver to your car hence the speed advise.

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Why on earth would anyone want a space saver if a proper wheel can be bought cheaply and used as a spare?

MickyB likes this.
  19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Agreed ....but IIRC only the 7th Generation Accord Tourer will take a full-size wheel, because the 7th Generation saloon and all 8th gens (saloon and Tourer) have the multi-link suspension on the rear which reduces the width of the boot.

MickyB and Zebster like this.
  20. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

LIKE WOT HE SAID!! Jon, the 8th although a bit bigger in the passenger compartment,it is a LOT smaller in the load area. On the Tourer they have stuck the map disc player in the area under the floor as well so there is no room for anything but a "space saver" someone at Honda lost it there? in all other departments though it is a great motor.

Zebster likes this.