General Spare Wheel or No Spare Wheel that is the question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deadmantf1, Sunday 26th Feb, 2012.

1. deadmantf1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike Bristol
    Hi ya all

just bought myself a 54 plate 2.2 tourer and it has come with no spare wheel just the gunk u spray into it an a air can to reinflate the tyre.
    Just wondering what you guys and girls think of this sytem or would I be better looking to get a spare wheel.

Thanks for your advice

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi and welcome to AOC.

Why not introduce yourself in the new members section.

What size wheels do you have on the car, 17 inch?

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mines got a spacesaver, a can of gunk aint much use if the tyre gets a slash in it or something bigger than a nail.

4. deadmantf1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike Bristol
    No they are 16 inch. Will pop over and intorduce my slef later once I get home form work.

5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ok look forward to the intro and maybe some pics of your car.

If you are running 16s a third option is buy a full sized spare...that's what I did with mine...check out my AOC Blog for a pic of the wheel well with a 16" spare in it.

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had the same problem when I bought my 06. I just ordered a space saver from Honda and picked it up the next day. The space saver is the same for 16,17 and 18 inch wheels.

7. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't have much faith in the can of gunk fixing a tyre damaged at speed and will shortly be buying a spacesaver for peace of mind. where's the best place to get one?

8. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

We always recommend our affiliated dealer Hondcroft Honda on 01782 261593.

9. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks for that

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have a space saver in Helen tourer and it for the peace of mind for her if she needs to call the AA for the tyre change. I don't have one in my car as touch wood I haven't had a flat tyre for over 10 years. If I do pull up and wait for AA to get to get there. HH will have loads of space savers in saw them on Friday.

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bought space saver from HH when i bought my car.

12. Speaking as someone who was caught out by having a puncture/ slash to my tyre ! I would HIGHLY recommend having a space saver tyre at hand. The tyre weld system is a good idea, but how often do you actually get a nice little 5mm hole that can be plugged ! I think as the wheel well is there it shoud have a spare fitted !

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Agreed, it would be rude not to.

14. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In all my motoring I don't think I've ever had a flat tyre. Strange but i've had two in Police cars, both discovered after responding to emergency calls after doing well into three figures!! (luckily on the rears). If you have breakdown cover and don't mind waiting then stick with a can. If you don't have cover or want to back up and running quicker then get a wheel.

15. Norms Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My last Accord just had the spray/tyre weld can and no spare. I was travelling down the M1 to Wembley to watch England a couple of years ago doing a steady 80 and low and behold, the rear tyre just shredded for what appeared to be no reason! Luckily I didn't lose control of the car and steadily pulled into hard shoulder. 17" Alloy was pretty badly marked around the rim but was easily repairable so was also lucky there! Had to wait 2 hours for the AA and then a further hour for the poxy southern slow motion workers at a garage near Milton Keynes to clean up the alloy and fit a new tyre. If I had a spare tyre or even a space saver then I could of driven the rest of the way to Wembley and got it fixed down there. But also luckily, we had set off very early and still made it in time for the game.

My FR-V now has a space saver, and although the tyre weld is a good idea, I think I'm always going to have some kind of spare in my cars now. Depends on what type of driving you do, how far from home you end up being and how urgent your journeys are I suppose.

16. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I have had maybe 4 or 5 in the last 10 years, but they have always been nails and screws that got me home, then went flat on the driveway.

I think it's really handy to be able to just put a full sized spare on and then drop the flat one off for a repair and pick it up some other time at your convenience.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have a space saver in Helens car with AA cover just for this scenario. will need to buy another space saver when she gets my car.

18. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    I had a spare wheel in the trunk space of my older car before my Honda Accord and it was actually used three times. So worth having along. So far, I've not needed a spare tire as mine are new and still under warranty. Hopefully, they will last in good condition for a long time. If I had to say, i'd recommend having a spare or something as emergency back up. Never know when you'll need it.

19. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

never heard anything good about the can of gunk for fixing a puncture. so i bought a space-saver from HH.

20. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Indeed. Even if it could have been repaired safely, tyre places won't touch a tyre with gunk in...