Tyres & Wheels Spare wheel

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by caravanman, Saturday 27th Feb, 2016.

1. caravanman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom mick sheffield
    Had my CR-V a month or so now and I bought it to tow my caravan. It's got the orange spare wheel which can't be used for towing, and used alloys are around £100 apiece. Can I use a steel wheel off an earlier model for the spare ?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I see no reason why not as long it is a matching tyre size.

3. caravanman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does the 2nd Generation steel wheel have the same hole spacing etc as the 3rd Generation alloy ?

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yep. the bolt pattern and centre bore are all the same so as long as you have the correct size of the wheel/tyre it doesn't matter if it is steel or alloy.

2nd Generation Sizes

2nd Gen.PNG
    3rd Generation
    3rd.PNG

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    At low speeds such as towing. Its not the best idea as an alloy and steel are largely different weights and could cause an imbalance at high speeds.

I would keep it as an emergency spare only and use it when essential

6. caravanman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Probably a non starter cos my wheels are 17" and the 2nd Generation steels are 16"

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    In which case id leave it as is as having a different size rim and a different material would be rather risky IMO.

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

A same sized steel wheel will be much safer 'spare wheel' than a donut which as you said cannot be used for towing and will leave you stranded.
    Endless models across different manufactures ship with steel spares and not matching alloys unless you pay extra so I doubt it is dangerous to use drive with a steel spare as long as it matches the dimensions of the others and treated as a spare.

Only have to make sure you keep a set of steel wheel bolts as alloy ones are different.

But as you said, its downright impossible to source a 17inch Steel wheel so all this is irrelevant. :Smile:

9. caravanman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Result. Bought an alloy with a good tyre off a 2007 3rd Generation from Gumtree for £65.00 .Unfortunately it doesn't quite fit in the well but hey ho.
    regards Mick

legend-ary likes this.
  10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

that is a great price!

11. Harp New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Harp Derby
    Hi Mick just read your post about a full size spare, I have to do the same, does it cause a lot of problems in the boot, ie does it fit in the well, does it lifts the boot floor to high to make unusable. a photo with the wheel actually in the well, would be great.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    Regards
    Harp

12. caravanman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it fits fine in the well. You need to cut off the pads underneath the floor panel ( flush ) and the floor will sit very slightly proud as the panel is resting on the tyre.I've had no problems with it.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  13. Harp New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Harp Derby
    Hi Mick thanks for the prompt reply and the pictures, it is now my 1st priority to aquire a full size spare, as i go away in two weeks. Once again thanks for you reply
    Regards
    Harp