Tyres & Wheels Spare wheel

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Tuesday 3rd May, 2016.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    At present I've got the lovely goo and pump system for when I get a puncture, not something I'm overly confident in. I've picked up an alloy to match my other (16") as I read somewhere these fit in the well. What else will I need?

2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm specifically thinking about securing it..

3. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    You could buy the genuine securing nut from Honda or a scrapyard, or you could make one out of an 8mm bolt, I welded a bolt on a camlock mechanism that I took off an old hospital bed for mine.

4. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Right, got an exact match for the alloys I have, got it of eBay for £50 delivered. It has a tyre on it, some winter jobbie, but it is in good condition so it'll do as spare for the moment. Bought a spare wheel fixing bolt for a Honda Civic (again of eBay), took a chance on it working and it does. Only downside is I've not been as lucky as others and the boot floor does not quite sit flush. It's not too bad as I have boot liner but I know it's like that an OCD is twitching away. I have let some air out of the tyre as I have the Honda compressor in a tool kit so I can inflate it again, but it's made no difference. Not sure what to try next?

5. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    remove all the fibre board rubbish out of the well, put the spare in upside down, put your tools in a "bag for life" and sit in the wheel, the jack can stay where it is, and the wheel will sit still if you pack a folded towel back and front of it. Mine was snug and the floor went down flat. Is the spare you bought the same tyre size? My 7th was on a 54 plate so could be different to your later model.

6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

The spare is exactly the same wheel as I have on the car, the tyre is different. I have stripped everything out and secured the wheel with a genuine honda bolt. The only thing I've not removed is the black moulded stuff attached to the floor - I presume it's some sort of sound deadening.

7. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Well I tried everything but I just couldn't get the boot floor to shut flush. I only needed a few mm so I check to see how narrow I could go on a 6.5j wheel - 195mm, that should be enough. So off I went to a local tyre place and £48 I had something called a THREE-A P606 sitting nice and snug in the well and a proper fitting boot floor. No idea on the quality of the tyre, hopefully I'll never use it but at least I have a full size spare which is better than slime or a space-saver.