Tyres & Wheels Spare wheel ?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ian, Thursday 21st Mar, 2013.

1. Ian Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks to those that answered my last question but i still have more.
    I have just bought a 2009 2.2 iCTDi ES GT it doesnt have a spare wheel but has the spray gung and pump etc,
    I don't like the thought of this, does anyone know if a spare wheel will fit in the gap in the boot (17" wheel) and if it will affect the car in any way when i use it.
    Many thanks once again
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    IIRC this topic has been discussed before.

Done a quick search and found this thread http://hondakarma.com/threads/3728/

See if this answers your question

BTW I think you mean I-DTEC not I-CDTI
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ian what size wheels has your car got?
  4. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Also is it a saloon or Tourer?

The saloon boot only really takes the honda space saver, a 17" full size spare will fit just, but the boot floor sticks up a bit.

On the Tourer there is plenty of room under the boot floor (once you remove the foam insert that holds the jack, sealant and compressor).

I bought a new 16" steel wheel and tyre from www.mytyres.co.uk was around £115 delivered, bonus also is that isnt restricted to 50mph like a space saver is, which is importatnt if you have a flat on the motorway.
  5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have a full size spare in the boot.

It doesnt sit flush as the bay is designed for a silly spacesaver.

That said, the carpet is raised up by about a 1/3 of an inch. Doesnt impact boot space, if at all. Much rather a full size wheel than an overprice pancake-thin wheel or can of gunge to "repair" a puncture.

Found the thread:

See for yourself. :Thumbup:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  6. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Apart from the TRK kit, what options are available for 18" wheels, if any?
  7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure there is any - certainly not that I have seen to date.
  8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure the space saver covers 16/17and 18inch wheels.
  9. Ian Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have 17" wheels
    Will this fit Honda space saver T155/90D17 101m
  10. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Ian,

It might fit, as log as its a Honda wheel, with 5 studs at 114mm apart, but the recommended Accord space saver size is 135/80D16 101m.

Its all about maintaining the same or very similar tyre diameter, if you don't it will make your car unstable and could cause the ABS/esp to malfunction, making it unsafe to drive.

This is a tyre size calculator here: Tyre Size Calculator - Changing Tyres - Etyres

If you enter the standard 17" Accord tyre size, 225/50/17 and then the Honda space saver size 135/80/16, you'll see it is very close, and hence safe, well 5% or so difference.

This is why I bought a new 16" steel spare wheel and tyre. The ES model Accord uses 205/60/16 tyres and wheels, so this is an approved size, and it fits in the boot. Bonus also its not speed limited like a space saver.

A Complete Set of Wheels: Steel wheels with Summer tyres - mytyres.co.uk
  11. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello Ian

Recently joined but thought may add my experience.....you can add a Space Saver wheel which is speed restricted. I purchased one last year after a blow out on the M25 left a tyre shredded.... cue an amusing conversation with Honda Car when I tried to explain why the injection foam would not work. Highly recommend contacting the dealer and finding out cost. Whilst I got towed quickly to Clackett Lane services it took 2 hrs to get someone to come out and replace the tyre.
    Last edited: Monday 1st Apr, 2013
  12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally I still think in this day and age, where you can pick up a full size allow/tyre for less than £70, it pays to get one of those than a space saver or any other substitute.
  13. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did not think you could get a full size tyre in the recess for the ES GT..... I had a 6th Generation Accord SE which had a steel spare wheel of a similar tyre size if I recall correctly. Just interested as the space saver fits in with the foam packaging for the jack, levers etc. but wonder if I got the wrong thing (BTW: Hate the space savers!)
  14. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi DK

Where can you get a wheel/tyre for that price?

15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have a Dtec Ex Gt and have a full size 17" honda alloy that matches the rest of the car. The boot mat sticks up a little in the middle but I find that I can now put shopping bags down the side and they stay in place.
  16. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks!! Unfortunately I need a flat surface. good to know though.....
  17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can't see why you can't get a aftermarket 17 alloy but at a 195 - 205 width tyre. You should then have a flat boot space.
  18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bought a set of four wheels from a member, then I split the set. Sold two, kept one myself and have one spare. Members Racy Jace and Superdave both bought one wheel apiece off me.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    i did see a genuine 17 inch alloy wheel on eBay. use the ebay search on the main forum just above What's going on ? tab
  20. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just get a new steel 16" spare with a reasonable new tyre from www.mytyres.co.uk Look in the Complete wheels section, enter your model details, this then selects the correct size steel wheel with the 5 stud 114 pattern. Mine was about £115 delivered. £7 for the bolt and clip to fix it down in the wheel well, from Honda.