ICE & HFT Speaker Upgrade Kit

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Saturday 6th Jun, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
  2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Two questions I would have (I am a novice after all :Smile: ) -
    1. Whether upgrading the speakers would put any more draw on the head unit or not (I think it's ok, as the head unit lists it's power output as MOSFET 50W x 4)
    2. Would the OEM speaker wiring cope with the uprated speakers ?

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Yes and yes mate. Its a very minor upgrade, the only cables which need upgrading when you start adding subs etc is the power cable mainly. The stock speaker wires should be just fine for what you are wanting to do. Might be worth checking however with @DJ Wozza for absolute clarity seeing he is very good with audio.

Im going to sort the missus EP2 out with a new set of speaker and a headunit at some point. The stock headunit is pretty appalling.

DJ Wozza and RogerH69 like this.
  4. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Wozza Bromley
    Hi, I can only speak in general terms of your question as I don't know anything about Civics & what head unit you are running & the OE speaker sizes & positions.

As for the head unit output supply, it might be 50 watts output, but that is never in a million years 50 watts R.M.S, that will be peak per channel so actually more like 15wrms.

The stock Honda speaker wiring (in the Accord) is actually pretty capable & I would suggest it is more than adequate for your upgrade plan.

image.
    The Pioneers are actually pretty decent value for money, the 16.5 cms ones on the link I actually owned, & fully intended to use as Rear Door Speakers for my own ICE build. I ended up going a different route in the end as I upgraded my Front Speakers before it came time to installing them, so my previous fronts got moved to my rear doors. They would have been powered by an external power amplifier, so if you do further upgrades later by adding a small external amplifier they should still do the job. They will certainly help get better sound from your Head Unit than the stock speakers which are obviously built down to a small mass produced budget.

My original system diagram at the start of the build
    image.

I don't know if they slot straight in, or if you need any further adapters, but if you do, try making some MDF spacers as they will be more secure & give better results.

Anyway good luck with your install, & please tag me in your thread so I can see your progress. As for my own Accord, take a peek in the garage at my full ICE build thread/log, lots of pics :Grin:

Accord/7th Generation - Wozza's ICE 2006 Accord iCTD-i

Woz

Chunkylover53 and RogerH69 like this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @DJ Wozza . My head unit is a Pioneer AVH-X8700BT. I realize that when it says 50W, it's not RMS ( that's probably as much as my expertise go :Smile: )

From what I can see, the kit I got should fit perfefctly, and has the necessary adaptors. If not, I'll rip the speakers out of the existing adaptors and use them (I saw a video on this on Youtube somewhere). The rear speakers will need one or 2 holes drilling, but no cutting and no adaptors.

6. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds like a simple upgrade, but post up pics how you get on, we all love pics!! Also it would be good to let anyone else considering a similar upgrade the improvement in sound.

SpeedyGee, Nighthawk and RogerH69 like this.
  7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I got round to doing the front 2 speakers today, but the weather started looking nasty, so I postponed the rear doors until another time. I'll put together a basic guide on doing hte full upgrade once I've done all 4 speakers. In the meantime, here a picture of everything I bought for the upgrade, as well as the 2 front door speakers fitted

Speakers
    Speaker connectors (didn't need after all, and they were really cheaply made so didn't fit properly)
    Speaker adaptors for front doors (which came with foam to go between the speaker adaptor and the door body)
    20150614_115229.

Speakers fitted onto adaptors, and adaptors fitted into door
    20150614_153410. 20150614_162906.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good work, please post a link to the thread up here as i follow this thread so will deffo see it.

Did you deaden the inside of the outer skin as well?

So the important question is:- How do they sound?

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

There is deadening inside the outerskin, as well as some sound proofing foam.

They definitely sound clearer, with better high end notes. The OEM speakers were actually pretty bassy, and these are just as good.

DJ Wozza likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So much simplier nowadays. I used to have to just solder speaker and radios into place, now you can just buy premade adapters.

can't wait to do this to the missus EP2 - her speakers are horrific

DJ Wozza and RogerH69 like this.
  11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok I'm not a happy puppy :no:

Beautiful weather today, so I go out to finish my speaker upgrade, and do the rear doors. As the ad for the speaker upgrade kit I bought said I needed to drill some holes, I had my drill and new drill bits ready, having decided I think I'm brave enough to drill a few small holes in the doors for the speakers.

Panels are removed, showing the existing speaker, which shows some minor water stains at the bottom of the speaker, but other than that, in good condition.
    100_0025.

The speaker surround has the same type of clip as the front door speaker on the top, which is disengaged by pushing down on the clip with a thin screwdriver, and then tilting the top of the speaker forward.
    100_0027.

And to my surprise, the cutout in the door is not round, and is too small for the speakers supplied to me by DynamicSounds (remind me not to use them again, they also sent me the wrong size speaker connectors), even though they were listed as being for the 5 door 2004 Civic, with only a need to drill holes for the screws
    100_0028.

As the speakers do not fit, and I am not at all comfortable with cutting away at the door, I'll have to get someone else to do it for me.

12. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have you thought about using an MDF spacer ring? That would probably give you clearance if you bought 12mm or 18mm ones. Obviously you would need to put the speaker in place against the door to check for spacing before purchase of the rings, or you could make your own if you have a router.

As for Dynamic Sounds: always keen on price, not so great on customer service...

If you feel brave enough, draw an outline around the hole to show what needs to be cut first. I would also give the bare metal edges a quick splash of Hammerite or something else that will seal and protect any bare edges from rust.
    image.

Also may I suggest a thin strip of sturdy polythene over the top half of the speaker, going back around about 25-35mm which will deflect any moisture from getting onto the exposed part of the speaker from the window seal above (a bit like a speaker poncho).

Hope this helps!!

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @DJ Wozza . Do you think something like this would do as a spacer ? That one is listed as 158mm, but I saw one on eBay listed as 165mm. Will that 7mm really make that much of a difference? Lastly, as I'm drilling the holes into the metal of the car, the screws that came with the speakers will be screwing into the body - which size drill bit would be best ?

14. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Check what size the OE rear door speakers are vs the ones going in, then compare that to the specs of the spacer to see if they will fit (I'm on my mobile atm so can't see much on Amazon).

As for what size hole, drill a test hole smaller than the intended self tappers, remembering you can ALWAYS go a size up on the drill. You want it small enough to still have metal enough to bite into, so err on the smaller size first mate.

15. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. I compared the Pioneer speakers against the OEM speakers, and the actual speak itself is the same size, so it should be the right size. Not sure if the speaker adaptor (it's just a generic Speaker adaptor that is supposed to fit the rear doors on the Civic) I linked to is 'thick' enough. I'll go ahead and get 2 sets than, as I can always double up if they're too thin. Thanks for all the advice. I should have these adaptors tomorrow and will give it another go.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Last thing (for now :Smile: )...

When you say put some sturdy polythene on the speaker, do you mean stuck to the speaker, or stuck to the inside of the door and resting on the speaker ?

16. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A bit of thickish rubbish sack etc cut to shape (so about 25-30mm goes inside the hole to cover as far back as the magnet) stuck between the spacer and the door, then it goes over the top of the speaker. It's thin enough & flexible not to restrict the airflow of the cone movement, but enough to stop any drips from the window seal above coming into contact. With your new speakers. I hope that makes sense?

RogerH69 likes this.
  17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. I'll do that with the plastic, and go back and do the front speakers as well.

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

IMG_20150618_095545. Speaker Adaptor Kit arrived today (glad I ordered 2 kits, as they are quite thin, so will need to double up). It came with leads which don;t fit my speakers (one clip too small) and also don't fit the plug connector that I disconnected from OEM speakers.

If weather holds, I should have these installed this afternoon :Smile:

19. DJ Wozza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tbh I would put them up against the door to check for fitment, then use them as a template on a sheet of 12mm MDF, then I would send them back stating about the faulty connectors. Job's a good 'en!

chris2982, RogerH69 and SpeedyGee like this.
  20. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I like your suggestion, but I think I'll use the adaptors for now. CBA with the effort to get a refund, and as 2 different manufactures are sending the same type of connector, I am wondering if there are different connectors for the pre-facelift (which these might be for).