ICE & HFT Speaker volumes front and rear

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Phil P, Sunday 16th Mar, 2014.

1. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    I run a 2013 CR-V SR with premium audio plus sub woofer as standard. Usually its only me and the wife in the car and the radio sound is great - in the front. However, took the in-laws out today who sat in the back, and they could hardly hear the rear speakers, let alone the sub-woofer.

I changed the FAD setting to rear only, and the sound was much lower than the equivalent volume setting in the front. When levels are set equally front and rear I can hardly here anything in the rear. Balance etc are all set to standard Centre. Are the rear speakers less powerful? And what does the sub-woofer actually do?

Thanx for any thoughts

Phil P

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very odd.

I have the speaker settings in the middle for front/rear - kids are contented, never been an issue. I wonder if its a set of faulty speakers or perhaps a speaker connection issue behind the door card(s)?

As for the subwoofer, provides the extra bass - although its location under the front passenger seat (if I am correct) leaves a lot to be desired. Other than that, I havent had any sound issues other than the garbage I listen to!

Phil P likes this.
  3. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Cheers TDK

It's due its first service in a couple of weeks so I shall ask the mechanics to have a listen.

Meanwhile I shall fiddle around with the settings and try a Motorhead or Deep Purple CD loud, and perhaps a bit of 1970's Dub. We shall see......

Will report back with findings

Phil P

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Try smoke on the water great track to test any speakers :Devil:

5. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi Phil
    I bet you didn't have this trouble with the Austin A35 (May be 30) showing on your avatar? What year 1957/8?
    Mike c

Phil P likes this.
  6. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    :Laughing:

Mike

1952 Austin A30 4 door. My very first car purchased in 1969 for £30. Same age as me!

Originally Green, but after changing a couple of rusted wings I hand-painted it red in 1976. During the glorious summer it dried almost as quick as I could apply it The eight track and speakers I fitted were stunning! And you might just be able to make out the orange fibre glass fishing rod type aerial on the left of the picture coming out of the top of the driver's side wing

Heater was warm in 1 minute. 0-60 in 21 seconds. Top speed 62mph, if you dared trusting the brakes.

803cc. 28mpg average, 35 if 'cruising' on the main A Roads at a steady (noisy) 50mph

It had a prang in the 80's and had to go

Still miss it

Phil

ps for Ichiban: Deep Purple in Rock Album - either Sweet Child in Time or Hard Loving Man.

Mike c likes this.
  7. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Just found this on another Honda site:Sorry:

It seems others have had similar problems but it is not a fault; it is intentional!

Phil P

quote_icon..pagespeed.ce.QHrJqViJia. Originally Posted by joeeew viewpost-right..pagespeed.ce.zbWYldcNLk.
    To be honest, the rear speakers in my EX-L without NAV is just not cutting it. When I'm driving, I can barely hear anything from the rear speakers... its all from my front speakers. (the fade is centered) and my passengers has said that they can barely hear anything from the back speakers while sitting back there.

quote_icon..pagespeed.ce.QHrJqViJia. Originally Posted by gandblah viewpost-right..pagespeed.ce.zbWYldcNLk.
    Seriously...the rear speakers are a joke !! Inexcusable!!
    Believe it or not, the lower output from the rear speakers is normal and is actually ideal from a sound quality perspective. The rear speakers are supposed to only provide what is called "rear fill," which gives a greater sense of space to the music for the front passengers. In order to achieve this, the rear output should be much lower than the front speakers.

From Crutchfield...

Once you have your front speakers installed to your liking, you'll want to make sure that your rear speakers are doing their part to create an ideal soundstage. While personal taste plays a role here, most experts agree that you should adjust the volume level for rear speakers so that you're barely conscious of their presence.
    While your front speakers should give you the best midrange and high frequencies possible, your rear speakers can be conventional coaxials or low frequency drivers. Their purpose is to add ambiance and depth to your forward soundstage. If they reveal too much high frequency information, they'll "pull" the stereo image to the rear of your vehicle, away from where you want it.Because of this, some car stereo geeks (i.e. audiophiles) will completely remove the rear speakers altogether.

Of course, if you are not an audiophile and just want your rear passengers to hear the same thing as the front passengers, then the concept of "rear fill" will just be complete bulls**t to you. In this case, you probably will have to upgrade the rear speakers to full-range units and adjust the fader to the back.

Anyways, just wanted to clear the air on this. Some people seem to be implying that this is an inherent defect or poor design with their sound system. For the record, the rear speaker output of my 2011 SE with the 160watt 6-speaker system is the same way. I think the sound quality is pretty decent, as long as you listen to it at reasonable (i.e. safe) volume levels.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You learn something new every day. I assume the info is from the CR-V Owners Club, which has a heavy US-bias (not a bad thing per se), but having driven a 4th Generation 2.4 Auto CR-V in the USA, the build quality is very different (and poorer) than what we have in the UK, so I wouldn't infer that their audio experience(s) directly translate to what we have here.

Of course, if you're still perturbed by it, you'd be well within your rights to discuss with the dealer to see what can be done if you're not happy.

Phil P likes this.
  9. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    TDK

Thank you yet again.
    Yes it was that ( very inferior) site. I promise never ever to look at it again and feel ashamed that I even thought of it:Banned:

It's just as well the in-laws are half deaf and don't like Deep Purple because they are the only ones that would travel in the back anyway.

Will report back after service

Phil

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL @ Phil!

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with that US-centric CR-V forum - its a very popular car out there. As is Honda in general I should add - and in fact, that site does have some useful info on the 1st-3rd Generation CR-Vs - not so much on the 4th Generation yet, but the stark differences in Euro / US CR-Vs is quite substantial, so not really a surprise they have issues that we may not have and vice versa.

As for your in-laws, well, you know that adage about not being able to choose your family!!

Phil P likes this.
  11. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Well, Service completed and according (no pun intended) to Honda the speakers in the CR-V are working as they are supposed to ie for the benefit of front passengers only.

Thought you might like to know.

I will also admit that I did not just have the service. I had a colour coded tailgate spoiler, and an oval exhaust pipe finisher added too. OOOh it looks posh.:GoodJob:

Pictures will follow but I will post in a different thread

Phil

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looking forward to the pics!

I've also got the exhaust pipe finisher on order too when I have my service in a few weeks time - along with my (long awaited) colour coded front grille! :Happy: