ICE & HFT Speakers - what size?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by VtecToon, Friday 18th Oct, 2013.

1. VtecToon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Durham
    Hi, today I have installed a replacement headunit I bought, mistakenly thinking the abysmal sound quality was down to the stock CD. After fitting my Alpine unit it's still not much better, so obviously my problem is the door speakers.
    What size will I need for the front and rear please? Have tried a search and didn't find a definite answer.

Also while fitting the new CD I somehow managed to lose the aerial :Blushing:
    Mine has the rear roof mounted aerial - where can I trace the lead to behind the dash, ie does it come from the left side behind the glovebox or right side behind the instrument binnacle?
    Finally I somehow managed to leave indentations in the dash while I prised the dash surround out to remove the CD. Is there any way of fixing or improving this? The dash was immaculate and now with these marks it's spoiled it :Frown:

Is there a for sale/wanted section on this forum, or do I need a higher post count to see this?

Cheers, Craig

2. Gary G New Member Getting Started

I'm also looking for the speaker specs. I had a look at all four tonight with the intentions on fitting a sound system I already have but to no avail!
    The rear speakers located on parcel shelf are not 6x9's for sure. (I'm runnin the 2001 sport). The front door speakers are the same. So we only need the specs for one really, cause they will all fit! ahah!

Anyways, gonna have a look to see if anyone's already fitted aftermarket speakers and possibly 6x9 & sub installs. If not, i'll try be the first to document it! =D

3. VtecToon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Durham
    Thanks Gary it would be really helpful to know. I have tried google but all I keep finding is info on US spec cars that look completely different to UK spec.
    Have not had a look at where the rears are located, I assumed they would be either side of the parcel shelf as a lot of cars have them situated there also.

I have tried looking at connects2 and autoleads websites but they don't feature any speaker fitting adaptors so couldn't find any clues there:Ermm:

I look forward to hearing your findings :Smile:

Cheers, Craig.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I am also very interested in the type of speaker I can plug and play with the Accord.

5. VtecToon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Durham
    Well I have spent a great deal of time trying to find this out.
    The fronts are 5.25" or 13cm - however they are 3 screw fittings so an adaptor ring would be required to fit aftermarket speakers.
    Some Accord owners have made their own MDF spacers to fit different sizes whilst others have used the backing plate that's fitted to the standard fit speakers to fit 13cm.

Hope this info is of use:Smile:

Chunkylover53 and SpeedyGee like this.
  6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Much appreciated - Halfrauds are currently doing some offers on car speakers, they even have a set for a tenner!

However they want £50 for fitting per set which is a bit steep. If anybody can do a write up of how to change the speakers I'll be more than happy to send some beer money their way for the effort :Wink:

7. VtecToon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Durham
    I think if you can find a thread on door trim removal you are halfway there:Thumbup:
    Once the door trim is off the speaker just unscrews and the wires just pull off (or so I believe).
    Things to bear in mind though - the wires have a specific connector on the end - this would have to be either cut off or use an adaptor (think you can buy from the usual places).
    If you cut off the adaptor you will need to use spade connectors to hook up the new speakers. Also watch for the depth of the new speaker - too deep and it will foul the window - in this case you will need to use a spacer.

Yes it's more convenient to use Halfrauds but if there are any extra costs involved then you will pay for that on top - and their audio accessories are pretty damn expensive in my experience. ( I once paid £2.50 delivered for an ISO connector from ebay that they were asking £20 for instore:Aghast:)

Hope that info helps and if any part of it is incorrect I'm sure someone will be along to correct me :Smile:

Cheers, Craig.

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the swift reply mate, am I right in thinking I will have to remove the trim of the whole door including the power windows etc or can I just remove the plastic mesh in front of the speakers?

9. VtecToon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Durham
    Yes the whole door card will need to be removed, including window switches:Thumbup:

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah cheers, that sounds like a real pain in the arse to do, I'll put it off till the holidays then I think.