Pre-Purchase Specific Faults & 4X4 Capability

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by cryptixuk, Thursday 22nd Jan, 2015.

1. cryptixuk New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Peter Wymondham
    Hi, Im thinking of getting an CR-V but I am wondering if there are any specific faults with this vehicle? and I also wonder what is the capability of this vehicle going off road and options to improve this?
    I am considering a Skoda Yeti aswell as I need a bigger vehicle as I do kayaking and occasionally go off road / mainly across fields.
    Thanks in advance

2. MancDavo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike UK
    I've just bought one. Did a lot of research prior to buying, there is loads of info on the Internet about common issues but it depends on which variant you're thinking of. In terms of off road capability, I don't think it can compare to a proper off-roader (and isn't meant to) but the 4WD and reasonable ground clearance would mean you could take it across rougher terrain than an average saloon/estate car. I think the yeti would be similar, in terms of clearance anyway. The thing that swayed me was that - as I intend it to be a long term purchase - the Honda reliability/quality reputation sets it apart from many rivals in the same price bracket n

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Have a read here for a list of any known faults. In general they're an extremely reliable car, as @MancDavo says, they're not really designed for full-time off-road use, but many have commented that they're more than capable of handling themselves when needed.

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Give the CR-V its dues, I've been on an off-road course in one and it performed admirably.

It was accompanied by a Toureg, Discovery, X-Trail etc etc. The only place where it had to really work hard was on the inclines as it was a petrol and obviously doesn't have the torque compared to the big boys.

5. cryptixuk New Member Getting Started

Hi again thanks for the reply, This is one of the reasons for me looking for a Honda is because of it's reliability but even with general reliability with a manufacturer on some models there can be issues so its good to know what to look for.
    for what I require it for is mainly to go over rough terrain occasionally (Fields etc) so sounds good :Smile:. another thing I liked was also you seem to get a good a lot more for the money compared to others.

6. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Generally the CR-V is perceived as being well built and not too many faults. It is in its 4th generation.
    I have had our CR-V off road and into a pretty wet hilly field and I can report that it was pretty straightforward and coped very well. The active 4WD system activated as it should and navigated the field and muddy/soft patches with relative ease. There is definitely good clearance and there is some after market kit to help protect underneath.

I have the diesel variant and the extra torque is worth it.

I would be very surprised if it could not meet your driving expectations

7. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    I can't speak to its off-road capabilities - but as others here can you should have an all round impression. I use mine as a motorway cruiser - I've done 15K in the last 7 months. I love it - if you buy one then it sounds like it will meet your needs for the off-roading you do, as well as being very comfortable on the road.

8. cryptixuk New Member Getting Started

Yeah, I would be going for a diesel variant. by the sounds of things it looks to be the one.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My 3rd Generation which uses the dual pump design worked great in the recent snow where lots of people were getting stuck. Tyres probably make a difference also.

10. cryptixuk New Member Getting Started

Yes, I was thinking of fitting AT tyres

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you're buying used, try and get a 2010 onwards with an I-DTEC engine, far more refined than the older I-CTDI.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    And economical I believe, plus a little more powerful. Only downside is the DPF but there's plenty of discussion about that on here.

13. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DPF's are fine so long as you use the car properly and Honda ones are far less temperamental than other marques. VW and BMW for example lol

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I don't think I'd be able to have a car with one, probably just as well I never found that Accord. A lot of short urban driving, it would never get up to temp.

15. automobilklub Premium Member Club Supporter

Dan Northampton
    I will be selling my 2010 I-DTEC CR-V soon. Just waiting for mods to give me privileges to do so...
    It's a great car, very comfy and pulls like a train:Smile:
    I also own a Civic and can tell that it's reliability is top level!

16. automobilklub Premium Member Club Supporter

Dan Northampton
    ...And it's in for sale section now...