Off-Topic Speed Awareness Courses

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheDarkKnight, Tuesday 10th Dec, 2013.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Anyone been on one?

How long do these one-day courses last? 9am-5pm thing?

Yes, I confess, after MANY eons, I got caught speeding down an unfamiliar road and have option of attending one of these. Any posts lecturing me about the perils of speeding ET al and how I should be hung/drawn/quartered will earn you a 12 month ban from me off the site!

You've been warned! :lol:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I thought the rossers didnt have funds to do policing,speed camera etc etc were you done by a whiteman van with a small sign saying mobile camera?

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It was down a country bypass/dual carriageway near some country roads/backlanes - I don't recall seeing any yellow fixed cameras so can only assume it was a well concealed Transit van - but I sure as hell saw no signage at all. I passed quite a few white vans with a plethora of red/yellow markings - from road works, electrical and other private business vans - guess somewhere in the mix was PC Plum with his gun aimed at me.

Flagrant entrapment - nothing to do with speeding prevention - its a moneyspinning machine.

4. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I've been on this course, it was ages ago when I was doing 36mph in 30 zone in the bus :Rolf: anyway I think I've paid £60 for a course, guy was talking all day about how speeding is wrong and bla bla bla all the things you expect to hear at this course, at the end I got pen with DSA logo :Happy: hehe most expensive pen in my life.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Same as this, even the speeding in a bus part. It was about 6 hours long with a couple of breaks chucked in, way better than the 3 points it could have been.

7. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    agree, as long as I don't have a points on my licence I can sit there for few days :Whistle:

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A lot of insurers are now asking you to disclose any speed awareness courses you've been on and will increase your premium accordingly.

A traffic officer I know was sent on one and said it was difficult not wanting to correct the lecturer over a number of points that were raised.

Still if your insurance company doesn't count these then I'd opt for a SAC.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Think my pen will be more expensive at £85! LOL!

But the cool thing is that the letter says I can pay in instalments! Ha! Tenner a month I think! :Happy:

10. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I have been done twice for speeding - many years ago. The first occasion the traffic cop HID in a churchyard, and his mate HID behind a bus shelter and jumped out on me. The next time I have no idea where the first cop was but may have been in plain clothes. I saw the police car much farther up the road and slowed down, but I obviously had gone through the trap. Not cricket at all.

11. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

the only time I was done speeding was when I booted my jag as a van was pulling out beside me and didn't see me but I was in front of a police car with foreign cops being shown a new speed detector system over a 500 meter stretch and it was an unmarked car :Angry:

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Went on this the other day.

Total waste of 4 hours of my life. Much rather have had the fine and points if I knew I had to listen to the drivel peddled by the jumped up, patronising morons who couldn't work out how to use PowerPoint.

But on the bright side, a nice clean driving licence....so I guess its not "all bad"...

13. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice one.Clean license if nothing else.
    I can only imagine you having to bite your tongue ha ha :Wink:

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thankfully I prepared well by speaking only when spoken to!

AccordCU2 likes this.