Off-Topic Speedy's 3D printer build - Pete's TIG welder discussion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by PeteMM, Monday 6th Jan, 2014.

1. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    That would actually remove every last minute of productive time from my life.

A dangerous dangerous addition to my workshop.

Although a happy bunny today, new TIG welder en route :Grin:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    New TIG welder ... nice !

Which one is it ?

Always wanted a TIG welder but couldn't justify it on top of the MIG welder I have already.

3. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Went for the R-Tech TIG160 in the end, nothing I will doing is going to be too taxing on it and the thicker materials I will be working on will only require small amounts of welding.

Now to sell my soul to BOC - had it easy with Argoshield as I had a spare bottle, not the case with Argon

4. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sorry guys but whats the difference between mig and tig welders I got a 140amp electrode welder but not for cars. my brother-in-law has either a mig or tig, says I can have it if I want but I aint sure what it would be used on. so if you can tell me which is used on what be nice to know thanks :Search:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

MIG stands for Metal Inert Gas, TIG stands for Tungsten Inert Gas. They both use an electric arc to make the weld and a shielding gas to protect the weld from contaminants in the air.

A MIG welder works by automatically feeding a spool of welding wire that burns, melts and fuses the target metal together. You can weld a variety of materials such as mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum and it's an easy to learn process. It's also a quick process.

TIG welding you have to manually feed in the filler metal, it requires a lot more skill, is a lot slower and you can't weld as thicker material as you can with MIG welding. TIG is also more expensive.

So for general purpose welding MIG is the way to go, easy to pick up, quick and can do some pretty thick metal.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Don't forget your breathing apparatus TIG\argon combination not healthy for your lungs. Illness caused by welding fume and gases I have seen a few top quality welders working in confined spaces leave the game for good Illness caused by welding fume and gases

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
    PeteMM likes this.
  7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Please don't go all H&S rep on me, I currently like you, but that could change :Tongue:

S'pose I should give up smoking too - or smoke whilst welding and leave the acetone open in the corner for good measure :Tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    H&S was the only link I could find which gives you guidance.. not a big fan of method statements and risk assessment either mate ..but every day without fail I have to push papers.

PeteMM likes this.
  9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

The joys of being me, myself and I.

Only paper to worry about is the folding kind in the wallet and the tax return :Wink:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Moved the TIG welder discussion posts out of my 3D printer thread

PeteMM likes this.