Off-Topic Speedy's shed build

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SpeedyGee, Friday 3rd May, 2013.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'd been planning a shed rebuild for sometime now, in fact extended the concrete base for shed near the end of Autumn last year but never found anytime to commence the shed rebuild.

I've got a fair amount of gardening equipment, lawn mower, hedge trimmer, leaf blower etc etc sat in the garage taking up space, the current shed was too small to host these, so had been planning to knock this down and build it bigger. Recently with garage getting more and more cluttered I had enough and decided to just go ahead and do it.

Some before pics :-

2013-04-19 15.27.34.

I think it must have measured something like 1.5m x 2m.

2013-04-19 15.27.34.

If your keen eyed you'll have spotted that I've also increased the grass area by doing some redesign work around the tree
    2013-04-20 16.38.54.

Cleared the area behind the shed last weekend, this is the new concrete base that I laid down last autumn.

2013-04-28 14.24.22.

- - - Updated - - -

Knocked down the existing shed yesterday. Didn't take long at all, there were barely 2 screws per corner, took longer to empty Lol.

2013-05-02 11.37.50.

2013-05-02 11.49.33.

The old slab plus new one combined give a 3m x 3m square minus a corner which is taken by the tree.

I tried to get some quote from shed places to get a shed for the exact shape and size I needed, a lot of places were saying they only do certain standard sizes and the one quote I did manage to get was £1500. No way was I going to pay that much for the flimpsily built shed, so decided to go custom made.

Ordered up some material and set about building the shed.

2013-05-03 09.31.54.

- - - Updated - - -

Work area laid out :-

2013-05-03 09.51.51.

and off we go .. started off by the making the far side

2013-05-03 11.13.31.

Used that piece as a template to make the short piece to the left of the tree and followed by the back

2013-05-03 13.24.44.

And then started assembling it all together

2013-05-03 13.37.04.

2013-05-03 17.23.53.

Made a start on the roof, got two sheets screwed down (out of four) then ran out of some material so called it a day.

Pleased with the progress, not a bad days work at all.

Tomorrow it'll start looking like shed.

Last edited: Friday 1st Jan, 2016
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like this shed a lot,just don't start spending more time in the shed then in the garage LOL.
    Nice work Speedy.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Haha, no chance of that happening Zoran, think'll I'll be spend even more time in the garage as I'll have more space and can start tidying the side opposite the workbench.

- - - Updated - - -

Rain stopped play in the morning, finally got outside around lunchtime.

This is where we got to yesterday :-

2013-05-04 09.37.54.

Progress today :-

2013-05-04 18.23.46.

2013-05-04 20.25.56.

4. ajawadk New Member Getting Started

:Smile:.............

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I take it you enjoyed the thread so far Mr A :Smile:

6. AccordEZJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

One you done yours you wana come & build me one speedy lol

SpeedyGee likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

LOL, Speedy's Custom Sheds Ltd ... hmmm I'd rather it were Speedy's Custom Honda's Ltd :Smile:

Ichiban and AccordCU2 like this.
  8. vanderlei Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

edi
    goooooooooood job bro:GoodJob:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks Vanderlei :Smile:

Today's progress .. this is where we started at this morning

2013-05-05 09.10.41.

Another post lunchtime start, due to needing more materials again, but we picked up a good pace and got plenty done but fell just short of the final target. All the feather edge cladding is done all the round the shed. Started felting the roof only to run out of roofing felt ! How annoying, wanted to finish the roof today.

Knew I should have put pen to paper and actually worked out all my materials, instead I've been guesstimating everything and I keep running out of stuff :telloff:

2013-05-05 20.47.02.

2013-05-05 20.47.08.

On the ToDo list is finish the roof, sort out the door latch and the window.

Part of me says finish everything tomorrow but part of me says finish the roof and take some me time as I've been working solid last three days.

Only problem with the "finish later" option is whenever I take that options things tend to get left unfinished for ages as I keep putting them off.

Anyone else have that problem ?

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    BRILLIANT little shed mate did you run power to the shed ?

Yes I have a problem you not fast enough

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would heating and power that will do me :Smile:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'll be adding power at a later stage.

- - - Updated - - -

Not fast enough !?!? That's coming from the chap who takes 9 hours to clean the underside of the car :Whistle:

Quality takes time, them feather edge boards have to be cut to right size, lined up level, screwed in and there's a hell of lot of em. A testament to the accuracy of the work is if you go round to the back far corner of the shed, where the boards have come all the way round and you see they all meet up perfectly :Happy:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Put the glass window in at the weekend (I had tried to source some 4mm perspex but couldn't get any locally).

Also moved the stuff that had been put outside from the old shed in. Really pleased that even with all that stuff I still have plenty of room in new shed.

I just need to get a lock on the door and then the outside of the shed is complete.

On the inside will need to put up some shelving and a workbench (simple workbench not the one like I have in the garage lol).

In fact might tackle the workbench this weekend as I need that to move some of the spare parts from the garage into shed, freeing up space in my garage yeeeahhay (the whole reason I rebuit the shed in the first place :OTT:).

Anyone need some Civic Type-R parts ? I've got a K20 CTR head and some other engine parts.

Only thing left after that is power to the shed, which I'll look into at some point in the future.

Last edited: Wednesday 22nd May, 2013
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That will be all for now
    :Need Pics: