General Split MPS Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Wednesday 26th Mar, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just came across this article, which I think is a pretty accurate overview of the MPS6: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/6/27206/auto-express-greatest-drives and I'd love to learn to take corners like that!

5.7 seconds and the torque remains at peak until just under 5,000rpm, but at 5,500rpm where it hits peak power the torque is still 350Nm - before modifications. It's a good starting point. I'm getting a reinforced diff front mount fitted tomorrow which has poly bushes and also having poly bushes being fitted in the diff's rear mount at the same time, so this allows me to launch without fear! lol The rear diff was always a weak point on the MPS6.

I'm going to get myself back on the insurance for my Accord as I'd like to hook torque up to it and see what it can do stock with the various tests it can monitor (0-60mph, 40-60mph, 60-80mph etc).

Just out of interest, would it be difficult to transfer the AWD from the Legend or CR-V into the Accord? I know guys have managed to transfer the AWD from the MPS6 and the CX-7 into the MPS3 but it's only a 2nd Generation reactive system, whereas Honda's SH-AWD being predictive like the 4th Generation Haldex that is in the SAAB's would be awesome in the Accord I reckon!

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That does look like a whole barrel of fun. I just wouldn't drive an MPS personally, not a fan of the interior or exterior styling. For me performance is second to comfort and styling, each to their own of course. Does look great from a handling/performance perspective.

Sounds good man, just bare in mind the extra stress on the tranny by using stiff poly bushes in-place of malleable rubber ones (I'd assume that's what it's using stock anyway). I know very little about Mazdas in general but getting the power to the wheels is always the most important thing, flip side there's often a reason the stock set-up is sacrificing that power in places.

This will help you figure out the power curve for the Accord (TSX based but still):

tov_06tsx6mt.

That HP dip before VTEC is easy to tune out. 0-60mph was about 6.5s on my old Accord stock with a good launch and tight shifting while keeping your revs up, 40-60mph about 2s, 60-80mph would be slightly less than the 40-60mph (2nd vs 3rd gear). That's just my opinion without the evidence to back it up infront of me.

It'd make 10x more sense to just use an AWD Accord:

I'm going to split this conversation out my project thread :Tongue:

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye sorry for the hijack! lol

I didn't know there was an AWD Accord, I thought it was just the Acura's which had it?

Oh, I can't access that photo/link. Tried copying the URL but I'm guessing there's a permissions issue?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

None of the Acura TSX models have it at all, it's the CL8 with a K20A engine (like the Euro-R) which had AWD. It was in Japan and other Asian markets, cannot remember off the top of my head where else.

Can you screenshot me what you see please bud?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The image below this paragraph seems to be a broken link
    EDIT: Its actually giving a 404 on that image

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Should be sorted, my bad :Innocent:

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers. Aye it was some other Acura's which I read had it, I think it's the Legend equiv though.

That damn i-VTEC is a problem for the MPS! lol Those extra revs will certainly give the Accord an edge. Interesting torque line also, I'm guessing it's i-VTEC with variable cam throughout giving it more torque down low?

Found this, a very interesting read. I knew I'd read somewhere in the past that the 2.4 had some extra strengthening done to it but it looks like the facelift has some extra stuff done over the pre-facelift?

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/1402_k_series_engine_family_breakdown/

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Low-down torque is also partially due to the lift on the cams, and the RBB intake manifold being optimised for low-RPM torque. Everything about the K24 is geared towards moving a heavier car compared to the K20s. With the plans for mine I'll be revving to around 8400 and VTEC at 4300 or so :Smile:

Before I even open that link I can tell you that it only relates to the TSX K24 facelift, the JDM/UKDM CL9s didn't get the same upgrades. They included 64mm TB, extra mm on the intake valves, higher lift cams and various other bits.

EDIT: Yeah thread covers that, worth nothing the 06+ TSX cams are regarded as the best out of all K-Series engines (thought the CU2 are close with better torque).

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Is yours going to be that blueprint tuning route?

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Mine will be a case of slap on the I/H/E bolt-ons, build the drivetrain from other models (like the 06+ TSX) then eventually swap to a ported/polished K20 head before getting a custom tune done :Smile:

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Missed your earlier point about stock suspension, the rubber bushes are too soft in my opinion but I'm guessing that's because they didn't want it as extreme as the evo and still wanted a reasonably comfortable daily drive. Rear diff mounts a big weak point on stock.

How much power and torque are you aiming for? What about suspension, I'm sure you mentioned something about it.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Horsepower I'd love to get to 275hp or so,and leave her NA but we'll see I guess. Torque 200lb/ft I'd like, but with such a wide rev band it really doesn't bother me so much, it's easy to down-shift for torque when it's needed.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    At 1400kg the power to weight ratio of your n/a will be good also.

What was it SAAB said in the past about torque and FWD cars? It's was at the time of the viggen, although suspension and drivetrains are better now but I guess with a good torque limiter in first and second helps, although the Focus RS still struggles to keep the rubber down despite them saying they'd fixed it.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I couldn't tell you mate, but I do know as it is (and definitely on my new Accord and the cheap tyres it came with) that it's dead easy to spin the wheels. Hence why LSD is quite high on the list for when the performance mods start coming in.