General Spoiler Brake Light Removal

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by TheDarkKnight, Friday 13th May, 2016.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Detailing the Tumbler earlier and noticed a slight build up of light green gunk (moss probably) in a corner of the brake light lens.

Any ideas/instructions on removing said part so that I can clean it properly?

(No pics - will put them up tomorrow! Sorry!)

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I don't know about the CR-V specifically but generally speaking you need to remove whatever panel is covering the back of of the rear light cluster and you should be able to see the 4 or so nuts hold the light cluster in place, disconnect all the wires, undo the nuts and the light cluster should pop off.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry, I was referring to the spoiler brake light as opposed to the brake light cluster (vertical one!).

Gonna faff around later and see if I can suss out how it comes off without using a hammer. LOL

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Opps sorry, must have been half asleep when I read it.

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Mine has also got a line of algae in the brake light on the spoiler and it's not quite a year old yet. I'd be interested in the answer to the question.

Keith

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This seems to be an issue with the CR-Vs again. Mine hadn't gone green yet but there's always water in it.

I'm guessing once it's removed it can be sealed up properly with some silicone. You'll just need to try and figure out where the waters getting in.

Are there any caps covering screw heads?

7. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    There's nothing obvious and there's no sign of water in the fitting itself. I think it's just a bit of condensation forming, sufficient to let a very thin layer of algae form. It's going in for its 1st service on Wednesday, so i'll ask them how to get the cover off then.

There are a couple of cover plates in the top of the spoiler, one of which is in the middle behind the brake light. Checked the manual and of course it covers every light on the car except (you've guessed it) the spoiler brake light, upon which it is totally silent. I suspect because it's not a standard fitting across the range.

There is however one clue and that is the manual states changing the LED bulbs in the DRL's is a dealer job. Looking at the lights in the spoiler, they also appear to be LED's so i think the answer is - take it to the garage but I'll still ask.

Keith

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I gave up trying in the end. Managed to toothbrush-out some gunk, and its a lot better now. Tempted to get the red brake light for it as found on the MY15 model.

9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can get stuff for ponds/fountains that kill algae. Rubbing that on regularly should keep algae away I would of thought

10. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Try looking at the accessories listing and how to fit Rear Spoiler. It gives you all the steps to remove and re-fit the Upper Brake Light.

11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    So it looks like the fixings for the high level brake light are under the trim on the upper inside of the tailgate. The trim is removed by inserting s screwdriver or similar, at each side of the upper trim and levering it off. The brake light fixings are then exposed. All seems very simple.

Remains to be seen if it is simple enough for me to try!

Keith

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any pics and I'll give it a go. I've slight green tinge at the bottom of the light but nothing major.

13. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The fixing in the middle of the spoiler on the top reveals a single bolt that looks like it's what holds the spoiler on.

Underneath the spoiler below the brake light looks like there's a large panel. Is that what needs removing?

14. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I just googled it and there are several YouTube videos on it, although most are for the earlier generations but I did find one for a 4th generation but didn't bookmark it. I only have a slight tinge as well so I'll have a think about whether it's worth it or not (I'm definitely not waiting for someone else to try 1st :Wink:).

Keith
    - - - Updated - - -
    The video I found definitely showed it being removed by taking off the trim on the upper inside of the boot lid directly underneath the spoiler, revealing the fixings.

Keitj

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Seems like its more hassle than its worth.

CBA taking the spoiler off just to clean the poxy light. Too much effort for not much reward.

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I saw a video that involves removing the inside trim but that was to remove the brake light that's attached to the back window not the spoiler. If I get chance I'll give it another look this week.

2016-05-15 20.43.29.
    20160515_200654.

17. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Definitely was the brake light in a spoiler on a 4th generation.

Keith

18. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right. This seems easy but the spoiler does need to come off.

On the top of the spoiler remove the 3 panels

Remove the 3 nuts

The spoiler lifts off. Unclip cabe

There's 2 screws that undo brake the brake light. Done.

5 mins I recon

19. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Yes you're right. I only looked at the beginning of the vid and I thought he was taking the light off of the spoiler but in fact was removing it from the car prior to fitting the spoiler. I don't think I'll be bothering with all that for a line of algae though.

As usual with Honda, the info comes from the US.

Keith

20. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It should be really easy Keith. It's just 3 bolts. I'm sure you'd be fine. The hole job should take 5 mins max.