General Spot the problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Monday 15th Dec, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just wondering if any eagle eyed person can spot the problem from this photograph?

Spot the Problem.

Last edited: Monday 15th Dec, 2014
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Pipe or wire dangling down by the offside rear wheel ?

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That looks more like fire extinguisher hose.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's just the hose from the fire extinguisher against the wall. Here's a hint, Honda just recently replaced the clutch and DMF so it's related to this.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Is the exhaust box on upside down ?

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    lol, nah man I don't think they would have touched the exhaust to do the Clutch and DMF? You are looking for something much smaller, but pretty damn important.

The game continues....

(I think I might go and check my exhaust now though! lol)

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Anyone else want to have a bash at this? I've changed the image slightly to help.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Dents on the drive shaft ?

9. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Daft reply, but is that the socket still on the nut at the exhaust?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

LOL

Only reason I thought exhaust was because there is a random hook welded onto the exhaust which currently seems to serve no purpose. I'm sure that it is probably on just fine. Just couldn't think why that bracket/hook was there for.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think you've pretty much got it, it's the bracket for the propshaft. One bolt completely missing and the other one half out. They'd forgotten to put the bolt back in and tighten up the other one after the Clutch and DMF change. Relieved I spotted it before it went completely. There's two safety brackets at either end which would stop the propshaft from hitting the deck but the mechanic at work reckons it wouldn't stop the propshaft from being wrecked and probably doing serious damage to the rear diff and front transfer box also.

I've been in to speak with them and they asked for the photos to be emailed so they can take it up with the workshop. Hopefully no damage has been done even though the propshaft was drooping slightly but it's just very frustrating how the main dealer keep shooting themselves in the foot after doing a good job.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Here's some more photos straight after I put it on the ramp. Fortunately we had a bolt which was a ball hair off the correct size but screwed in tight and the other one which was still there screwed in tight also. I originally was going to inspect the suspension underneath just as a routine job when I heard the loud knocking on the road.

I also noticed my rear drop links are pretty shot and possibly my RARB bushes. Probably from all the speed bumps I have to go over, some of which are on a junction so you also have the lateral stress as you go over them. On a plus side there's tons of access to both the drop links and the RARB bushes and looks like a very quick and easy job.

The new bolt and the other one tightened up:

Check out the access to the rear drop links and RARB bushes! Awesome, thanks Honda!

Rear Drop Link.

RARB Bush.

Last edited: Tuesday 16th Dec, 2014
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ah yes, can clearly see it now in the last set of pictures.

Did you experience any vibration driving around like that?

I'm not sure how the part time 4WD works, I guess rear diff only gets driven when 4WD is needed?

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm not 100% sure how the Dual Pump system works but I know it was engaging a few times over the weekend due to the slippy roads and pulling away from lights. On Sunday the whole car shuddered quite badly when pulling away from a set of lights, very similar to if you try and wheelspin on that antislip tarmac. Well, it's all documented now with Honda so if anything happens as a result of this then at least I'll have something to work with.

I'm surprised they don't make those safety hangers shorter to prevent such a drop, seems crazy to only have two bolts keeping you from being stranded! lol

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Received an apology from Honda today, surprised they didn't ask for the car to be brought in to check the rest of the stuff they did but no big deal. Glad it didn't collapse whilst cornering at speed but everything seems OK.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just replaced the rear drop links and RARB bushes over lunch and turned out to be a right sod of a job. Access is easy, plenty of space and cut the drop links off with relative ease but the RARB bushes - damn those bolts! One sheared off but fortunately there was enough bolt left sticking out to get the mole grips on it and after plenty of heat it came out. But then the new bolt going in sheared and was flush with the bracket! Arrrgghh! Some precision drilling and out it came but certainly didn't end up the nice straight forward job that I expected.

I don't think I've ever had a bolt shear on the 7th Generation Accord so was hoping for the same with the CR-V. Still to test drive her now to make sure the noises are gone and the handling is improved but I'm sure it will be. I stupidly took both drop links out of the packaging before checking which was left and right. They are both colour coded but there's no reference anywhere as to which colour means what. Fortunately, they only fit one way so you can't get it wrong :Smile:

I would have done a DIY but was on the clock as I was using the pit and we had a truck on its way in to be repaired so didn't get a chance. Sorry.