General Spraying wheels service?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pastore, Monday 2nd Nov, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    I wanna spray my wheels black but i don't mess it up by doing it myself, anyone know if theres a spraying service that does this?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Must be hundreds of places in London where you can get that done.
    Google for Alloy Wheel Refurbishment or Wheel Repair around your area.

3. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ok, i just thought somoene might know a good place, i want to get black plasti dip.

are mine alloy wheels?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just look up alloys re-furbishers in your local area. I was going to say Yellow pages but they are getting smaller by the day.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes they are.

6. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ok thanks, i thought wheel refurbishment was for like when the wheels were scracthed and they get rid of the marks and scrathes, i didnt know they did plasti dip too

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Loads of places you could go to, I got mine done not long ago from a company called Mworks who are based in Bethnal Green\ Hackney area of East London. £40 per wheel although i negotiated down as i got bodywork done at same time too.

You can plastidip the wheels yourself pretty easy, as any mistake you make you can peel it off.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's a bit like saying I didn't know a Body Repair shop would spray a car for you, I thought they would only fix accident damaged cars :Laughing:

Plastidip is a different process to Powder Coating or simple repair and spraying of an wheel.

So look for Plastidip services.

9. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

£40 a wheel sounds a lot, how long did it take them to do it?

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    They had the car for a few days, but they were doing lots of bodywork so not sure how long the wheels took, I would say it should take a day, but it depends what other work they have booked in. £40 is a standard price in London, you can probably find £30 if you look hard but you need to factor in the quality of work too, how good a job will they do for a cheap price and whether they would skimp on paint and laquer etc.

If you have the time and space to do it yourself then thats the best route, I would have done it myself but I live in a flat so its very awkward.

11. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sounds like i will save loads of money if i did it myself then, just saw a 400ml can for £13 on ebay

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    yep.. I have been thinking about trying them once I fix the actual mechanics of my car..
    in theory they are pretty straight forward but who knows..

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    They are easy to use, i have used them for other things, just have a clean surface, dip the can in hot water for a few minutes then do at least 5-6 coats evenly, you need to do a good couple of layers to make them peelable. But they are bloody expensive, by the time you have bought 4 cans and then 2 cans of finishing, you would have spent around £80-90 etc.

14. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

did you put a gloss on it or just use the same spray?

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I didn't use that for wheels, I used them for some diy things that I made so didnt need gloss. I did buy a load of them to do my wheels up some time ago, I bought 4 cans of grey and then 2 cans of pearliser finish and then a laquer spray (which is not needed), never did it in the end and sold them all at a big loss for £70! :Frown:

So depends what kind of finish you want, if you want just matt finish then all you need is standard paint, if you want glossy then you will need the glossifier, if you want a less shiny then get pearlizer finish

16. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i wanna get the glossifier on it to make it look shinny, decided not to do it myself cuz i live in flats.

17. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Could you not plastidip one at a time in your flat???

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@chris2982 for some reason Mr Bean just came to mind after reading your post above :Tongue:

exec, chris2982 and Zebster like this.
  19. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Should we be encouraging @pastore to experiment with explosives?

exec and FirstHonda like this.
  20. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i guess i could yeah. its sounds like it would be a hell of a lot cheaper anyway. i might make a video of it lol, you basically cover the brake disc with plastic bags and do like 3 layers with 15min gaps in between, then putt glossifier on, wait like 15mins and then start peeling from tyres.