Engine & Gearbox Squeaking/squealing from around alternator

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by synaesthesia, Saturday 8th Jun, 2013.

1. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    99 accord 1.8 sqealing from under the bonnet, roughly from around the alternator/belt areas. Does it pretty much all the time regardless of load on the alt, whether or not clutch is engaged, if I'm driving or standing still.

I'm guessing it's a belt but what's the best sort of checks to try?

2. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm glad you put this up as I too have noticed the same type of noise in the last few days ! Does it also sound like a sort of dry rubbing sort of squeal/squeak ? I have a 2000 accord so might be the same issue

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Could be alternator bearing or belt too loose.

You could remove the power steering belt which will eliminate that (and its bearing) out the equation and give easier access to the alternator belt.

The alternator belt should be loose enough to be pressed down about 10mm (as a rule of thumb, obviously a belt tension gauge is what is needed to be sure). I've also read that another cowboy way is to twist the belt in the middle of its longest side and it should just be able to twist just about 90degrees, in other words edge up as your look down on it. (I have no idea if this is a fair measure of tension or deflection, or just to confirm its not over tightened)

If it feels too tight it might the bearing on its way, too loose then maybe a turn or two of the adjusting bolt might resolve it.