Suspension, Steering and Brakes Squealing brakes on 4th Generation CR-V

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Davec, Saturday 28th Feb, 2015.

1. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Chippenham
    My CR-V 2.2EX Gen 4 developed squealing brakes in its first year. When I took it in for service at Blade Honda in Chippenham, they firstly tried to tell me that it was normal, then admitted it wasn't and said they "didn't know why and that they would submit a technical question to Honda and get back to me".
    Next week my second service is due and I've heard nothing.
    Summary - not ALL Honda dealers are good. My next car will be something other than Honda if they don't fix it this time.

Has anyone else experienced squealing brakes?

PS - the subwoofer has also stopped working!

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The most common cause of squealing brakes happen when the pad vibrates gently against the disc. This is why there are normally anti squeal shims installed to stop this. Assuming that the pads are not worn down and the squealing is from the pad wear indicators that is. Warped discs could also cause squealing.

Removing the pads and putting some copper grease on th rear of the pads normally stops the squealing from happening. Its a design of the calipers, all cars suffer from it, not just the occassional Honda. Bit harsh writing an entire brand off due to a common problem across all manufacturers.

3. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wasn't writing the brand off (I love my CR-V's, three in a row now), it was my local dealer that is the problem.
    I used to put Copper-ease on the back of my pads when I did my own servicing years ago, so why Blade can't do this escapes me.
    We will see what happens next week.

4. Nighthawk Guest

Good luck mate, I hope they sort it out for you. Let us know.

Feel free to add your car to the club garage when you get a chance. It will then appear under your posts. Welcome too by the way.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Genuine Honda pads don't need copper grease on them. They have like a rubber pad which causes the pad to stick to the caliper and hence move away from the disc when brake pressure is released.

Every so often the brakes need a good strip and clean down to get rid of built up brake dust. This maybe all that is needed on your car.

6. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just recently had new front discs and pads fitted. It makes a world of difference to the brake performance.

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, they have sort-of fixed the brakes - they still squeal a bit when they are cold but seem to be OK when warmed up. They are certainly better - maybe that's all I can hope for from this dealer....
    But the dealer (Blade Honda) managed to leave the cover of the pollen filter tray lying in the footwell, so I had to refit that myself. Not terribly impressed...

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:thumbdown: Shoddy! :thumbdown:

No excuse for that. What did they say when you told them @Davec?

9. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't spoken to them yet - I put the filter cover back myself (its a two minute job to drop down the glove box) and I will go and see the branch manager next week about the brakes and tell him about the cover.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yes it's easy to pop it back on, but you shouldn't have to. At least it was nothing serious.

11. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Net result of servicing? No better. The brakes still squeal when braking at low speed.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You really shouldn't be getting brake squeal on a '13 CR-V something is just not right.

@Beefy any thoughts on this ?

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I havnt come across any technical information from Honda specifically for the CR-V. however the same year Civic seems to suffer from squeal and other than using a specific grease called plastilube the reason is put down to changes in the materials used in the discs and pads. the change in composition of the brakes is down to environmental preasures as far as I am aware. brake squeal can be very annoying and I sympathise completely but in fairness a certain amount can be normal in certain circumstances. I would recommend having the disc thickness and run out checked. if the discs are still in spec the best way to reduce noise is to face the pads up with glass paper, clean the carrier fully and apply plastilube. how many miles have you done on these brakes @Davec ?

14. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've done 15000 miles - quite low in two years I suppose.
    It seems to be a bit better at the moment after a few long runs and some deliberate harder than usual braking.

15. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just written a letter today to Honda UK regarding the brakes on my 2013 CR-V EX. It has just had its third service where once again I complained about the brakes squealing, as I have every year since I bought it new. The local dealer this time didn't even try to fix them, just telling that "some of them are like that".

Has anyone had experience of writing to Honda UK? Am I likely to get an answer from them?

16. Nighthawk Guest

I found their response times pretty good - the rest of their service however is something to be desired, but they got back to me within 48 hours.

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Mine do that sometimes - generally only ever with light pressure on the pedal with it stopping with greater force.

My dealer looked at it a few weeks ago, and told me that it was something to do with the type of brake pads now being used (for environment reasons). I think @Ichiban said something similar previously, but I could be wrong?

My 'issue' is so minor it doesn't bother me, but if it was louder/more frequent then it would drive me insane!

I've found Honda UK customer services very good, but that isn't the case for everybody by any means...

18. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Ah, that is interesting.
    My CR-V occasionally emits a noise similar to an HGV's howling brakes - not often and only briefly, so rarely in fact that I have only today decided that the noise was from the car not something outside.
    Mine also lives outside and suffers from rusty discs, which will stick on especially after washing the car releasing with a bang. A run around the block after washing the car avoids this and now I know what the noise is I can ignore it!

Pete C

FirstHonda likes this.
  19. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    I had the same problem a week after my service. What they did was to sandpaper and smooth out the brake pads at my oil change visit. After a week the noise came back. Next service, they changed the squealing front brake pads, engine oil, oil filter, did some eye examination (they did not change air filter, did not change sparks) and charged me for 350 euro (charged a 1.5 hours labour for eye examination and changing standard filters and oil, and charged an additional labour fee for changing my brake pads) . Last time I will be taking my CR-V to Honda Service.

so after changing to new brake pads the noise went away permanently.

20. Davec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a letter back from Honda UK. To paraphrase "tough s**t, it's out of warranty".

This will be my last Honda - much as I like the car, I can't tolerate the brake squealing and the crap dealership service (Blade Honda Chippenham).

Nighthawk likes this.