Suspension, Steering and Brakes Squealing brakes

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by rikernumber1, Sunday 24th Aug, 2014.

1. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Hi,

Our CR-V suffered from squealing brakes. I've reduced this quite significantly by taking each wheel off, cleaning and copper greasing the backs of the pads and the pad guides. However, there is still a slight squeal at low speeds (e.g when moving in slow traffic in town). Doesn't seem so apparent in the wet, which makes me think it's the pad/disc contact. Anything else I can try? I'm obviously not going to copper grease the discs ...

Phillip

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Any signs of rust on the disc ?

Is there a lip around the end of the disc ?

Did the caliper piston appear to move freely when you had a look ?

3. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    No signs of rust - the discs/pads look like they have been replaced quite recently. All pistons moved freely; I had to push them back in on each caliper, to get it to slide over the pad. I used the same method I've used on other cars: a g-clamp and a flat motorcycle tyre lever across the centre of the piston. Each moved straight and easy. Just wondering if it's anything to do with the spring clips on the pad guides?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Those are anti rattle springs, to stop the pads from rattling. Do the pads move freely along the guides? Did you grease the guides?

5. Gareth Hancox Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Garth
    Hi Philip
    Did you have any joy with the squeal, mine has the same problem, only does it what I call slow/light traffic braking, I've checked everything and all seems fine but the noise is starting to drive me insane!
    Cheers

6. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Hi,

As it happened, the squeal turned in to more of a wobble/vibration under braking i.e. warped discs. Both sets of front discs/pads were replaced and it's sorted.

I have cured squealing brakes before with copper grease on the back of the pad and along the pad guides - but the mechanic who did my discs (I didn't have time to do them myself) said there are more advanced compounds that are used now.

7. Gareth Hancox Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Garth
    Thank you, just before I bought my CR-V a honda dealership changed the front and rear discs only?*? and not the pads, I have since changed the pads thinking it was those making the squeal noise it was fine for two weeks but then the squeal started again and has stayed since but only when the brakes have warmed up fine when they are cold, looks like the only way of sorting it once and for all will be to do what you did and change the discs and pads again and together,

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Light squealing like that is usually due to a small amount of movement in the pads as they touch the discs. Check the anti squeal shims or/and put some copper grease on the contact points where the pads seat into the carriers.

9. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Don't rush to change the discs before you've tried the copper grease as suggested.

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    The front facing pads should not be greased other than there sliding faces. Ime not sure on non gen pads but with genuine front pads they have an adhesive which sticks the pad to the caliper. The problem is that people do not clean the inside face of the calipers and the pad will not stick to it. Also if you grease over this adhesive there is no chance of it sticking. You can get new sticky shims from honda to refit the pads properly if they come unstuck. It is this that causes the squeal, the pads not being stuck to the caliper. When stuck the pad moves with the caliper, stopping the vibration and squeal.

smcnei likes this.
  11. Gareth Hancox Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Garth
    Thanks everyone, will have a look (when it's not -2 outside :Smile:

12. Gareth Hancox Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Garth
    Hi guys just an update, at the weekend I managed to get on the breaks and it would appear the garage that changed my pads didn't clean the surface rust off the carriers or calipers, after a thorough clean and rebuild they are once again quite.
    Thanks for everyone's comments.

brian62c likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You're on a roll @Gareth Hancox, that's another issue you've sorted out. Good stuff :Thumbup: