Engine & Gearbox Squealing noise

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Sunday 31st Mar, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this themselves but very occasionally I'm getting a strange squealing noise. It's happened twice when sitting on the main road waiting to turn right, I'm not on full lock but not far away from it either. When I start to move into the side street there's a squeal for about 1 sec as I'm completing the turn and then it disappears.

It happened again today when coming up slowly and turning right into and up a driveway (so no stopping this time) and it didn't happen on the turn this time but as I was going up the driveway and it lasted for about 2 seconds and much more noticeable.

My first thought was the clutch, but it bites fine and I can't feel or hear any slipping. I'm wondering if it's connected to me having the steering turned and applying power, so perhaps a CV joint? Or could it just be too much power on a hard turn?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A dry release bearing ? they are common issue on prefacelift cars.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers. I'm getting a sneaky feeling this is going to be expensive or is this a straight forward thing to sort? How does this happen, lack of grease or something and are there any tests i can do to definitely pin point this as the problem?

4. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Have you checked your power steering fluid??
    If that fine check your front ball joints not unusual NSF cheap fix

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, I'll check it all out. I got a second opinion and I reckon it probably is clutch related and maybe it's just because of load being put on it. Not going to rule anything out and will keep a close eye on it. :Smile:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've had a dry release bearing noise since 60,000 miles (now on nearly 120k). Been less frequent recently (like once or twice a month), it's been much more frequent in the past.
    Basically as you let the clutch up slowly to move off in first gear you hear a squeal.

Never bothered me at all. It'll get changed if and when a new clutch is required.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers reassuring to know. Its just like the noise of a fan belt but not quite so loud. Going to leave it unless it gets worse.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The release bearing which squeal don't die prematurely they just make noises on inclined surfaces or when the weather is damp.

The noise is an irritant but when your clutch is due a change it the best time to change it.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Squeaking noise from engine bay

Just when I thought everything was running ok I started her up this morning and could hear a repetitive squeaking noise from the engine bay - almost like the sound of a fan belt at early stages. Started off loud for a few seconds then died down but still present. It doesn't increase with revs and sounds like it goes away when driving but I think it's just road noise drowning it out as it's still there when I stop.

I'm thinking idle pulley (had a similar noise on my previous car, Mondeo, but never got round to sorting it before selling). But, I remember reading something on here about the power steering pump o-washer?

Anybody got any ideas and if it is the idle pulley will it be as big a job to get to as with the Mondeo?

Cheers

Last edited: Wednesday 24th Apr, 2013
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    This is different from before. Checked this afternoon and no noise so i'm guessing it's related to a cold car at the moment.

12. Richardp2020 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Uk
    The idler pulley went on mine and it made a huge racket, especially from first when the engine wasn't making too much noise. If the noise comes back you can try very carefully spraying some wd40 on the bearing and see if the noise goes away, but don't get any of the belt itself. The pulley costs about £40 from HH.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers. Is it a big job on the accord or is access ok?

14. Richardp2020 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Uk
    5 minute job if that, if it is the idler pulley, it's the top most pulley so access is straightforward.

Last edited: Sunday 28th Apr, 2013
  15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Good to hear cheers. The Mondeo involved dropping or lifting the engine I believe so it was worth doing all the rest of the pulleys and tensioners - which made it an £800 job (although far cheaper than doing them all individually)

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've managed to capture the clutch noise on video (not the other noise mentioned, that was the A/C belt which has been fixed with chalk).

Here it is: [video=vimeo;68995512]http://vimeo.com/68995512[/video]

Is that a dry release bearing that was mentioned? Excuse the police and neds, it's Glasgow after all.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup that is the release bearing 100% I used to have the sound on my 2004 tourer it was gone when the clutch was replaced. The noise won't become worse or will it fail it will just carry on until you find you clutch pedal travel drastically reduced.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It's so loud though! Perhaps I should get this to drown it out....

Honda Accord 2_4 CP3 twin exhaust 4.

Ichiban likes this.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Go for it!