Suspension, Steering and Brakes Squeeky front brakes

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Nitropaul, Thursday 10th Mar, 2016.

1. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I bought my CR-V they put a new MOT on it and had to change front pads. Since then the front brakes has started squeeling when I brake. Have had it back to the garage that did the MOT and they have cleaned the brakes and told me the noise is the brakes wearing in. I don't believe them and doubt they will do any more. Anyone have experience with noisey brakes?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What pads did they use?

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Hopefully they didn't discard the pad backing shims?

4. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure what pads they used. The garage did it behalf of the trader I bought the car from. Can you explain the shim please.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
  6. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks I will take a look when I get the chance.

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Think of the shim as like an anti squeal barrier that goes between the back of the pad and the caliper itself. Helps prevent rattling and sqealing. Sometimes known as an anti squeal shim.

8. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    ferodo premier are my OEM pad of choice and unlike other brands they come with shims

Nighthawk and Zebster like this.
  9. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andrew Banbury
    My newly acquired 3rd Generation does this,worse under light braking-the pads look only about 20% worn. It could be your discs are slightly worn and have a wear lip on the edge which the new pads are struggling with (nice flat new pads on an unlevel surface). More likely perhaps is they've used a cheaper brand of pad to keep costs down for the supplying garage. I use Borg & beck brake components (I'm a mechanic) through choice having had squeaking issues with some other brands-including mintex.

10. Tear101 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lee Northants
    Your not alone on this one! My 08 auto brakes scream on light breaking. Round town they are fine but when you are slowing from a high speed they start squealing at around 10mph down!

11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    A man after my own heart - I have used Ferodos on lots of my cars, they are my go to first choice, specifically Ferodo Premium. I installed Ferodo discs on my Accord at 55k, and another 50k down the line, they are only starting to get a little lip on them. This is after seeing two sets of pads on them too.

As you say, the shims are already in place and you cannot remove them - never had a peep out of them on any of my cars

12. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    less £80 for premier discs and pads for the accord shipped from mister auto. no brainer!

Nighthawk likes this.