General SRS Airbag control unit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OllyR, Thursday 8th Oct, 2015.

1. OllyR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Olly Salisbury
    After 2 Hondas and nearly 8 years reliability I've practically forgotten how to handle spare parts.

My Honda Jazz was in for inspection because the airbag light came on and my Honda dealer needs £695 to fit a new SRS control unit (ouch!)

I intend to get a new Honda within 6 months and its probably only worth £1500-1800. I have a mate who worked for Euro Car Parts and they cannot get the unit. There are too many dodgy looking part dealers on line! Anyone know a trustworthy breaker or should I just pay my local dealer for peace of mind?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You could get the code read off the SRS system. You need to connect up a HDS or Snap On Solus to read this.

That will tell you what the SRS system is complaining about.

Alternatively there is a reset that you can do that involves bridging some pins. That may or may not help, try do a search for the process.

OllyR likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    That's a lot of money, I would search on ebay for Jazz that are being broken and pick the unit up from a Jazz, of course you won't know if its working or not, but you can probably pick one up for £50 or something.

OllyR likes this.
  4. OllyR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

August Motors - Honda Dealer for Salisbury came back and said they had hired in the 'Brakeout Box' from Honda UK - found it had Faulty code 12-1 High Resistance to Right Hand side airbag. Carried out guided fault finding using HDS.

They then said it cannot be repaired or reset and needs a new SRS Control Unit. £696 fitted. They suggested it cannot be reset.

Should I ask them to clarify or take them on their word on that? The alternative is to buy one second hand. Any trusted car breakers out there? Many who say they can supply get terrible reviews!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Will have a look thanks! I know it is a Siemens part and Honda gave me a parts number.

5. OllyR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looking at parts on Ebay with pictures - it seems my local Honda did not write the part number down correctly for me. It made it a bit harder to figure out. But it seems I can get the exact part
    Looking at parts on Ebay with pictures - it seems my local Honda did not write the part number down correctly for me. It made it a bit harder to figure out. But it seems I can get the exact part for between £40 and £60, thanks Exec!

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Usually these high resistance fault code indicate a break in a wire. I had a Civic come to me with this error but it was for the Passenger Airbag.

After disconnecting battery, I reseated the connector on the Passenger AirBag, re-connected battery, did a reset via HDS and that cleared the fault.

It's usually units where the airbag has actually gone off that can't be reset and need replacing.

OllyR likes this.
  7. OllyR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That is interesting. I know enough about physics that I did wonder. The airbag certainly has never gone off. It would be annoying to have paid all that money and not resolved the issue by replacing the SRS control unit. I can see 4 units on Ebay with the correct part number. I will question them regarding this tomorrow, before resorting to buying a new unit. Thanks SpeedyGee.

8. OllyR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What does make me wonder though - is they already found the 'code 12-1 high resistance' using their HDS. They then ordered in what they called the 'Brakeout box' from Honda UK and then said the vehicle needed the new SRS control unit. Question is did they jump the gun or are they being unprofessional? They said they had only dealt with 2 cases in the past year like this. Are they just covering their costs I wonder?

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
  10. OllyR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would just like to say thank you for all the help on the forum - hat tip particularly to exec. I did indeed find a spare SRS Airbag control unit on Ebay from AJ Spares Ltd (Rotherham, South Yorkshire) for only £43.99 and it worked perfectly. Not sure if I can say on the forum but AJ Spares were excellent on Ebay and have a very high feedback rating. Also thanks and highly recommend August Motors (Salisbury Honda dealer) for accurately diagnosing the problem. Thank you all and would just like to share the experience and knowledge in any way I can on Honda Karma.

exec and legend-ary like this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Result ! :Grin:

OllyR likes this.
  12. OllyR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks to you also man for the diagnostic info... DEF a big result as saved more than £560 on potential bill and have a perfectly serviced and maintained old Jazz now! But Honda Salisbury happily fitted my own supplied part and did say the brand new replacement SRS control units were expensive.

exec likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good on them, some dealers would have refused to do that.

Last edited: Wednesday 4th Nov, 2015
  14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Good to hear its all sorted :Thumbup:, surprised to hear a dealer fitted that, some refuse to fit brand new OEM parts that havent been bought through them so thats definitely a great service from them.