Service & Maintenance SRS error code 23

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Aldozer, Tuesday 24th Feb, 2015.

1. Aldozer New Member Getting Started

Hi Folks,

Newbie here so if I'm doing it wrong I'm sorry :Wink:

I have a 2006 2.2 diesel FR-V. The airbag light comes on intermittently. But unluckily it stayed on for the MOT, and failed. I tried reseting the code but it just keep coming back on.
    Its a code 23, Has anybody come across this before and if so, did you fix it or is it a dealer job.

Many Thanks,
    Al

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi there how did you read this and try to delete this code by ?

Last edited: Tuesday 24th Feb, 2015
    Aldozer likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    From what I can find out about that code it translates to :-

23 Short To Another Wire In The Passenger's Airbag Inflator Or Decreased Resistance

So checked the wiring to the passenger airbag.

I've had that issue on the Civic EP3 before. I disconnected the battery and re-seated the connector on the passenger airbag. Never saw the light again.

Aldozer likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    And if there is actual resistance in the SRS wiring loom well you will spend a fortune in tracing ghost all your life with parts and cost. SRS airbags work on resistance and the minute the sense it it will light up like a Christmas tree for life.

Aldozer likes this.
  5. Aldozer New Member Getting Started

Hi Ichiban

Thanks for replying.

I shorted pins 4 and 9 on my OBD connector in the footwell and counted the airbag light flashes on the dash. As per this video:

Then I reset the error with the MES connetor as per this video:

It worked, but the error came back, so I reckoned there was something a bit more serious wrong.

I started with the easiest fix and removed the drawer under the middle front seat and found the Seatbelt tension connector (I think that's what its called) under there (It's yellow, with two wires going in). I separated it and gave the wires a good push into there holes and reconnected it. Low and behold, the airbag light went off. I think the drawer must have been pushing on the connector and caused either an open or a short.

Anyway, it's passed its MOT and I hope if somebody else has this issue that this helps.

Cheers,
    Al
    - - - Updated - - -
    oh yeah, and that MES connector was a pig to get to.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I thought as much I had a feeling you would have shorted to get that code. Just to get a conformation the code is actually there you would get the car scanned using OBD tool which interrogates the SRS and airbag subsystem.

7. Aldozer New Member Getting Started

I did use a wi-FI obd tool with my iphone, but it doesn't interrogate the SRS for some strange reason. (its a cost option and a big one).

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    SRS system implementation varies between manufacturers so it's unlikely that a generic OBD reader will read the SRS subsystem.

Aldozer likes this.
  9. Aldozer New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate the job you do with this forum and the help you give out for free.
    And I love my FR-V. Can't believe they've stopped bringing then in to the uk :Frown: