Electrical & Lights SRS Light Has Come On

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ciderman21, Monday 3rd Jun, 2013.

1. ciderman21 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

*UPDATE* SRS Light Has Come On

Hi guys,

Yesterday evening my SRS Airbag light came on and won't go off. I've searched the forum but can't find any similar threads.

I am given to understand from 'googling' that it might be to do with the drivers seat belt pretensioner.

Obviously I want to get it sorted ASAP as if I happen to be involved in an accident, the airbags won't go off.

Has anybody else experienced this issue? Is it simply a case of running a diagnostic test to identify the exact problem?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited: Thursday 27th Jun, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Steve if you can get the error code read and get the real DTC code we can take it from there. Anything else at this moment will be guesswork and hear say.

3. ciderman21 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ichiban,

Thanks for the quick response.

'Yeah' that's what I was thinking. I'm speaking to the guy from dashwarninglights.co.uk tomorrow morning, with a view to him looking at it ASAP.

I will let you know what the error codes are after he's looked at it.

All the best,
    Steve

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I hope the chap uses snap on reader as generic readers can't interrogate subsystems like SRS in depth nor pick up Honda codes.

5. ciderman21 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks. I will make sure I ask him that tomorrow morning.

If he doesn't use a snap on reader, can you recommend where else I could go or a bit of kit I could buy to read the codes? Ideally, I would like to avoid the 'stealers'!

I don't seem to be having much luck with this car, only bought it 5 months ago! Things can only get better as they say.

Thanks,
    Steve

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Steve has your car had any accident damage in your ownership or prior to you getting it ? any aftermarket accessories fitted with wires spliced and diced, a pollen filter changed recently ?

snap or what the dealers use any others is a waste of time and money personally.

7. ciderman21 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No accident damage either in my ownership or prior to my ownership. Only minor damage on offside front due to some plonker who couldn't park! Literally only a couple of small dents and a small scuff. Otherwise the car is as straight as a die which is what the guy said when it recently had a major service. The service was conducted by an independent, but that was about 3 weeks ago so wouldn't have thought that had any connection.

No aftermarket accessories fitted (as far as I'm aware) and no pollen filter change.

Steve

8. ciderman21 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

Peter from dashwarninglights.co.uk came round a couple of weeks ago to check out the issue. First thing he said was that it was a very unusual fault for a Honda as Honda's don't tend to have any SRS warning light issues.

Anyway, he used a bit of kit called snap solus litre to diagnose the fault code. Seemed to work well. The fault code diagnosed was 11-80 short to power in the left front airbag first inflator. Didn't mean anything to me! He checked for any loose connections behind the glove box, but from what he could tell, everything was fine. He cleared the fault code but said the light might come back on again as he couldn't identify the actual problem. He suggested that it might be a good idea to purchase a replacement Airbag ECU off ebay and have it fitted. Apparently it's quite a major job to replace as it's located behind the centre console.

Everything was fine until yesterday when the light came on again! It happened when my friend who was sitting in the front passenger seat opened and closed the glove box. I had opened and closed the glove box a few times in the last couple of weeks, either by reaching over from the drivers seat or reaching in the car from opening the passenger door, without the light coming on. So maybe it has something to do with the passenger seat or maybe that's just coincidence.

I'm at a loss now what to do. Maybe I should go down the purchasing a replacement Airbag ECU route.

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions please.

Thanks,
    Steve

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Steve have you thought of getting a second opinion from the likes of your local Honda dealer to see there is a proper explanation of this fault.

I persoanlly don't like to swap parts and hope for the best you need to ascertain the root cause of the issue rather than a potential workaround. I am sure the light may be annoying you but that airbag is a vital safety device turning off the annoying light is one thing but will it deploy in the hour of need is another.

10. ciderman21 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ANOTHER UPDATE!

Took your advice and decided to book my car in with the Honda dealer I've been using for many years (Ruislip Honda).

Took the car in for a diagnostic check today and waited with baited breath for the outcome.

Diagnosis revealed 3 fault codes, all of which are apparently connected to the SRS scenario:-
    1) 11-80 (as previously diagnosed)
    2) 54-50
    3) 11-8

The fault codes were cleared.

I was relieved of 54 quid for this and was advised to bring the car back in for further investigation should the light come back on.

They asked me if the car had been involved in a crash (which as far as I'm aware, it hasn't). Also, whether the battery had been changed recently. Told them the previous owner changed it about a year ago. Also advised them that the voltage etc. had been checked recently and it was well within the recommended parameters.

Drove about 40 miles afterwards and the light came back on again! Grrrr

So I guess it's back to the dealer for further investigation. I actually expected them to diagnose the fault and provide me with their opinion as to exactly what the fault was and an estimate of cost for the repair. Maybe I was expecting too much?

Any comments/recommendations please?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks,
    Steve