Bulletins & Advisories SSD Satellite Navigation Information

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by Service News, Friday 13th Jan, 2012.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

The new 2012 Honda Civic will receive the much anticipated second generation satellite navigation system complementing with the new i-MID system .

The features of this model according to Honda Access (HACE) are

Intuitive Touch Screen

A 6.1 WVGA Touchscreen features multi-sensor navigation (GPS / Gyro / Speed Pulse) to perfectly pinpoint your position even when you’re in a tunnel, map coverage for 34 EU countries all updatable via SD card, and Voice Commands and Menus available in 12 languages.

Clever Integration
    Vivid, even in direct sunlight, the touchscreen is designed to be fast and intuitive so you can concentrate on driving.
    And if your Honda is fitted with the Intelligent Multi Display (iMID) you can operate it from your steering wheel, so you’re really in safe hands.

Then there’s Bluetooth HFT, with integrated microphone and audio streaming, AUX in and USB as well as iPod, iPhone and tablet connectivity. Play CD’s or compressed audio streamed from your devices in real time, with track listings, playlists and album artwork displayed on screen.

Sound Quality
    If you think that sounds good, just listen to the HiFi detail. The SD Navigation system features a 4X45 W amplifier for clear, rich audio, not to mention a 5-band graphic equalizer with 6 preset and 6 personal EQ curves to make your music, and your phone calls, really sparkle.

Main Features
    Simultaneous Navigation & Entertainment
    6,1” WVGA Screen
    Touch Screen Operation
    Multi-Sensor Navigation (GPS / Vehicle Speed Pulse / 2D Gyro)
    Voice Guidance
    • Dual FM / AM (18 pre-set stations)
    • Radio Data System (RDS)
    • Traffic Announcement
    • Station List Memory
    • Auto Alternative Frequency Search
    • Auto / Manual Frequency Search
    • PTY Search
    • Your CD collection (including CD-R/-RW discs)
    • MP3, WMA, WAV, iTunes (AAC) music on CD and USB
    • Audio streaming from your phone via Bluetooth
    • Your iPod® and iPhone® through USB connector
    • Your USB device through USB connector
    • Other AV devices via the auxillary input
    Installation Type: 2-DIN, in-dash
    Anti-Theft Protection: Security code, blinking LED, secure installation
    Connects with the vehicle’s displays and remote controls

iPod® Compatibility
    iPod® / iPhone® Control (through USB connector)
    Compatible Generations
    • iPhone® 1st through 4th generation
    • iPod® nano 1st through 6th generation
    • iPod® touch 1st through 4th generation
    • iPod® classic 5th & 6th generation
    Supported Functions
    • Battery charging
    • List browsing
    • Music playback
    • Album art transfer

Navigation Features
    Map Type Pre-installed on SD Card (8GB)
    Navigation Coverage: 34 European countries
    covering 10 million kilometres of road.
    Coverage areas include:
    UK, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Denmark,
    Sweden, Norway, Finland, Austria,Belgium, Switzerland,Andorra,
    Monaco, San Marino, Vatican, Ireland, Luxemburg, Liechtenstein,
    Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary,
    Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Gibraltar
    Points of Interest (POI): 5,5 million. Honda
    car dealers are included in POI.
    Lane Assist & Junction View
    Speed Limit Indications on major European Roads
    TMC Traffic Info Receiver
    12 Voice Guidance Languages supported:
    English, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese,Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Polish
    12 Menu Languages supported:
    English, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese,Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Polish
    Hands Free Calling (Hands Free Profile)
    Music Streaming
    Additional Bluetooth Features:
    • Phone book transfer
    • 300 entries for each user (up to 5 users)

USB Input
    Auxiliary input
    Portable Device Connectivity
    Reverse Camera Input
    Steering Wheel Remote Control

45W x 4 Amplifier
    Graphic Equaliser (5-band with 6 pre-set & 6 personal EQ curves)
    Speed Adaptive Volume

The Diffrences?

What makes this version unique from the first generation model is the increase in size of the SD card from the current 6GB SD to a 8GB SD Card and with on board 2.5 inch SATA drive for additional i-MID data.
    It is worth pointing out this 2.5 inch drive is made by Toshiba specifically for automotive grade applications and drive model will be MK6050GAC which incidentally is the six generation of automotive hard drives. This particular model of 60GB drive is a new addition to the current 40GB and 80G GB Toshiba’s Hard drives.

The Reason ?
    The 9th gen Civic will house this in the central console of the dash, and like other car manufacturers the centre consoles are integrated into the dash. Like all previous Honda sat nav units these unit normal have integrated fan modules to keep the internals cool and keep the hosts spots within the unit toward the rear of the dash. This ensures a higher components life and reliability.

To make this hard drive robust for the high temperature, the followings are it technical stats from Toshiba.

1. ATA-7 interface and provides average seek time of 16 msec, data transfer rate of 100 MB/s, and rotational speed of 4,200 rpm.
    2. Measuring 69.85 x 100.0 x 9.5 mm, drive operates in temperatures from -30 to +85°C in altitude range of -300 to +5,500 m
    From a rough estimate the standard operating temperature for this drive in the new Civic will between 55°C to 65°C which will be well within the manufactures tolerances.

Like all pervious Honda’s this Civic maintenance screen can be access by hold all three button together for three seconds "Map", "Menu" and "Cancel". You can view the temperature of the HDD, do system diagnostics check as well as view the six partitions of the logical drive, I would suspect the HDD is formatted in Linux :Wink:.

No doubt there will be some sort of encryption on this HDD to prevent copying of the root directories.

For further information on the new Honda SD Nav and how to update the SD card via Navteq

Honda access have also release the Onwer manual and a list of compatible bluetooth devices

Honda SD Navi Update Manual

Attached Files:

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Speed limits and lane assist will be very welcome additions.
  3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    it is a very accomplished car compared to the 8th Generation! a lot of aspects of the accord are filtering down to the Civic, but unfortunately i think the price will put people off. most people won't pay accord prices for a Civic! and that is the way things are looking. two steps forward in quality though, a very nice car!
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have driven the new Civic it is a brilliant little car. it has evolved into a brilliant package as beefy has already pointed out a lot technologies from the Accord have filtered down to this Civic and it rightly deserved. BUT a Civic will never topple the accord on ergonomics and comfort they are poles apart. Have to congratulate the Honda designers and engineers for their efforts on making a cracking car. As for the pricing I don't see that being an issue it will sell for it qualities.
  5. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I been in Solihull Honda today for speaker change and had a ride in new Civic.It is a nice car but not for me.I like my Accord more.
    I been there for about hour and the half and they had 4 or 5 test drives in that time plus numerous people in showroom to have a look at the car.All of them were 50+ so based on that i think it will sell good.
    Here is the beast i had a ride in today.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Do you reckon the new Civic still attracts the same clientèle what Honda got in the 1990's? It good to see this bracket taking a futuristic Civic to their linking,it just shows Accord needs a injection of youth.. if that make sense.
  7. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Good call...I remember those days when the Civic was too pricey for the mass market but a big seller for the grey pound punters...but still highly sought after second hand by boy racers because it was quick.
  8. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I think it will sell good and to both young and older generations but on this particular day only older people went for a test drive and showed a lot of interest in the car.I think they even sold one,gentleman gave his 09 reg Jazz in part exchange.
    I had good look at facelift Accord as well,not much difference except for front lights and chrome fog lights surrounding.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud there are loads of small changes, you know the NFS passenger seatbelt buckle if it had a kink in it would rattles between the seat and the B pillar.

The location of the top anchor has changed for that not to happen, there a 3 three dozen small changed like this, looks like a thread is coming up.
  10. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes ,yes you are right there,i forgot to say i meant how the car look on the outside.