Off-Topic Stand up comedy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AccordCU2, Saturday 18th Feb, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just watched one of the old Live At The Apollo episodes and laughed my bolox off.John Bishop and Michael Mcintyre are brilliant.I didnt laughed this hard for ages.
    Anybody else like stand up comedy?

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Yeah, I went to see Al Murray earlier this year. :Smile:

Wouldn't mind going to see some more comedians but not many shows round my area any more.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I prefer Frankie Boyle he is barking mad..:Grin:

4. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don`t find John Bishop that funny to be honest, think its the scouse accent. Despite being a scouser myself it makes me cringe when I hear it.
    My current favourites are Lee Mack and Mickey Flanagan. Also just seen Rhys Darby from New Zealand on Something for The Weekend he was hilarious. He has a comedy program called Flight of the Choncords. Never seen it before but I`ll be looking out for it now.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I don't like Frankie Boyle, his idea of humour is to just make offensive and derogatory comments about people for no reason. It requires no talent and personally I don't find it funny. It's no surprise to me he doesn't get any work any more.

Some of my current favourites in no particular order:
    Al Murray
    Omid Djalili
    Lee Mack
    Russell Howard
    Stephen K Amos
    Michael McIntyre
    Tim Vine
    Ross Noble

I first saw Flight of the Choncords on tv doing a stand up with guitars and songs and it was very funny. However the tv series which I was looking forward to on that basis was completely different and a disappointment.

Last edited: Sunday 19th Feb, 2012
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    He is controversial but he is very funny when he doesn't touch the sensitive areas, he is not as bad Roy Chubby Brown

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I don't mind controversial that's why I like some of the comedians I do, but one particular series of Mock the Week summed him up for me. For about 6 shows in a row at least once in every show he made a derogatory remark about Kerry Katona which was completely off topic and not relevant at the time in any way. By the 6th show even Dara O'Brien just turned to him and said 'What is your problem with her?' And it was because he had nothing clever or topical to say and was just desperate for a laugh to earn his fee. Some of his early stuff I did find funny (when he had material) and I did like him, but he took it from controversial to insulting and I went off him very quickly after that. But I have to admit I haven't heard of him or seen him do stand up since Mock the Week so he might have toned it down since then.

Roy chubby brown, I've always put him in the same boat as Jethro, old fashioned views, out of date, not worth my time.

You can't beat a good old Two Ronnie sketch. :Smile:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Plus one for Two Ronnie sketch!

9. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Plus two from me for the Two Ronnies. Comedy geniuses in my book. Even Ronnie Corbett on his own makes me laugh.

And another vote here for Omid Djalili. Saw him this week on the Graham Norton show, hilarious.

10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My votes for Rhod Gilbert. As for Kerry Katona, she deserved it, just my opinion though, can't stand her.

11. tomsmarty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Went to see Lee Evans late last year in Cardiff, he was really good I thought.

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I like Lee Evans but hey I've never seen anyone sweat so much???
    As for the two Ronnies 'fork handles' or is it four candles ha ha ha

13. tomsmarty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Haha he does sweat a fair bit. Think thats what he's known for, that and his laugh.

14. Felicity Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Back in the day I loved watching Robin Williams stand up comedy. He's a very talented man. Though some of his movies fall flat and don't come across as funny as they should be. I blame that on poor script and bad editing. His stand ups are still hilarious.