Tyres & Wheels Standard 17" Wheel on Pre & Post Facelift - any difference?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by bigroncoleman, Sunday 14th Jul, 2013.

1. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

As per title - is there any difference between the standard 17" wheel on a pre and post facelift model? Reason i ask is that one of my wheels is curbed fairly bad so thinking of using it as a spare and buying a second hand wheel to use as replacement but it will be from a 2012 facelift model (whereas mine is 2010 pre facelift) so want to be 100% sure they they will be identical, otherwise i'll just refurb my existing alloy.

There is very little facelift models around my area but when i've seen the odd one, i'v always thought something was slightly different about the wheels but not 100% sure and could be just imaging it! :Wink:

This is the type of alloy wheel i am referring to.

IMG_1600.

Thanks

BigRon

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think that the finish is different. Pre-facelift are painted, whereas the facelift ones have a shiny finish (chrome like) on the face of the spokes. It is this part that I have my issues with at the moment!

I was at the dealer last week looking at some pre-facelift cars' wheels as a comparison to mine - from a distance they look the same, but next to each other the finish is quite different.

3. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks - this is what i had suspected - cheers for confirming!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup right on that First Honda I have facelift and you have these diamond cut chrome accents on the outer circumference as well as the outer spokes.

Diamond cut wheels are more prone to corrosion or lacquer peel, so they may look different will they last two winters is the question?

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Diamond cut, that was the phrase I was looking for (rather than "chrome like" :Blushing:).

Mine haven't even lasted one winter, and I really look after my car (I use Swissvax Autobahn to protect my wheels, and it has never failed before). My dealer should come back to me this week to let me know whether Honda have approved replacement of all four wheels as I have lacquer peel starting around the edges (and on some of the spokes) on all of them already...:Sobbing:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    SwissVax that is some seriously overpriced detailing gear! I used their SwissVax Onyx wax 6-7 years ago and it best wax to apply and take off super easy to work with a superb shine and depth. I also used their paint cleaner and white applicator pads and the finish was superb.
    Shame about the price thou. Their penu for tyres is the worlds best tyre dressing in the world in my eyes.

Is your car in warranty or approved car warranty ? standard warranty will be easy and no contest.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My car is only 18 months old, so standard warranty. Dealer thought it wouldn't be an issue, let's hope he is right!

I use Swissvax mainly for my MINI which is hardly used and, at 10 years old and 11k miles, is as new in every respect. It IS expensive stuff (I use Best of Show as my wax) but the pot I have is already 5-6 years old and still has a third left as you need so little. Their paint cleaners are superb, and I agree about Pneu (which also works brilliantly for wheel arch liners!!). Generally I find that I use far less of their products, which makes the cost easier to swallow...

The Accord usually gets more "normal" products, current manufacturer of choice being Bilt Hamber, great results with Hyrda Wax and their wheel cleaner.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Then the alloy change is a no brainier if they have taken loads of pictures then can't see why Honda will say no. Yup you tend to use less of the SV stuff as a little does go a long way the pot of Onyx did last a long time. You had to put the fridge when not in use as per SV ?

BOS is mega money but it does last 6 months easily if layered on and if you mini is hardly used then it will last a year easily.

Do you have the entire collection of SV?

Bilt Hamber I used to use them when they came out and TBH never had great result with their snow foam, clay bar or first generation waxes.. so don't tend to use them anymore. Use Valetpro stuff which gives better performance.

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've got lots of Swissvax products. Most of their stuff is great, except (in my opinion) their shampoo and their quick detailer (which is useless!!). Never bothered with the "wax in the fridge" thing, doesn't seem to have done it any harm...have read different opinions.

I think the latest Bilt hamber products have come a long way in terms of ease of use - you are right that the early products (I had Autobalm years ago) were a pig to use, and took real effort to get a decent finish. Autobalm is a great Winter wax though, if you can get it right (it took me a few goes to work out the best process).

I'm currently using their shampoo, Hydra Wax, wheel cleaner, quick detailer and standard clay bar to good effect. When I took the car to the dealer on Friday to show him the wheels his first question was "...what wax have you used on that, what a great finish...!" And that was without using paint cleanser or my standard Meguiars professional mirror polish as prep!

The Hydra Wax in particular seems to really suit silver, brings out the flake nicely and gives a very deep, wet look. It is also very quick and easy to use.

As with all these things, detailing products are such a matter of opinion...I've read great things on some products and not been impressed, and had great results on others that didn't have great reviews.

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Where do you buy Swissvax products?
    I would like to buy good wax for my car but find it a bit expensive at 180£ for a pot.
    Just thought is there anywhere good to get their products.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Standard 17" Wheel on Pre & Post Facelift - any difference?

Loads of websites sell them Zoran you have their official website and independent sellers. Compare the prices and even eBay they are within a couple of quid variation. It's expensive but good stuff it's the easiest wax in the world to put on and remove

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I checked their website and found it a tad too pricy for me.Thought someone might know anywhere cheaper but it looks like I will have to man up and open the wallet.

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Personally I'd say that it IS good stuff but (for me) too expensive for "everyday" use. TBH you can get a better result from cheaper products if the prep work has been done properly. For example, I've heard good things about Dodo Juice products which are quite a bit cheaper.

I've always bought from Swissvax direct, savings elsewhere are small and their customer service is strong.