Engine & Gearbox Start up revs? 2009 CR-V ES Auto (petrol)

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by steve4536, Monday 6th May, 2013.

1. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been driving a French diesel for the last 9 years and it has started up winter and summer on the button and at the same constant RPM.
    My recently aquired 2009 CR-V petrol Auto starts up and the revs go to about 1500 +/- a bit. I'm reluctant to engage drive until the revs have died down to near close to normal 750 +/- a bit;Which takes a minute or so.
    Is this normal for petrol engine starting on the CR-V?

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would say It's normal.
    My petrol Accord does the same.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Agree with Zoran. This is normal. Nothing to be afraid off and driving off immediately with a low to moderate speed is the best you can do to bring the engine up to normal operating temp as quick as possible.
    Take into account an auto will go even a bit higher into revs once you shift to 'D'. But also this is normal:Smile:.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for replies. Your comment on temperature brings me to another point. I discovered yesterday and confirmed today, that it seems my engine gets up to temperature within 0.2 miles!! This is obviously wrong. The digi gauge gets up to 2 notches below normal and stays there. I have contacted my dealer to have this checked out. Not a good start with my new Honda! :Angry:

Last edited: Tuesday 7th May, 2013
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi there could you please get some pictures to show what's going on. One rule of thumb if is not affecting the cars working and performance then things like this have simple reasoning behind it. Don't worry about it as it will just mess with your head its a new car use it for sometime to gathers its behavioural patterns to make a judgement on it.

Hopefully your dealer can address that for you by looking at the car. We can't as we are blind here and going by what you are saying.

6. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sure, I realise it can be difficult trying to analyse a problem with just a few sketchy words.
    The CR-V runs great, I really like it; the higher revs on start up is new to me and i will get used to it. The temp gauge malfunction will hopefully be sorted out on Friday afternoon. I will give feed back on here as to what the problem is. :Thumbup:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The High revs is making engine starting easier and for the first minute it pumps in more fuel to get the engine temperature up and as you drive the car in 10 minutes it will be at normal operating temperature,

I have this on my new 2.4 Accord so its nothing to be worried about. keeps us posted.

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Steve,
    As Ichiban says, if the car runs as expected and the temp gauge stays there, than there's nothing to worry about
    FYI: on my Civic 1.4 petrol and on my Accord 2.0 i-VTEC both temp gauges start moving the moment the coolant reaches 50°C, and the Civic stabilises at 86°C, the Accord at 91°C.
    Stabilising on the gauge takes around 1 to 2 miles, depending on the starting temperature and the circumstances. Once the gauge starts moving (after appr. 0,5 miles), it moves very quick to approx. the normal position. The 2 notches you mention might represent quite a few °C.
    I wouldn't worry at all.
    In case you doubt, you can monitor your real engine temp via an app (OBD Torque) and a bluetooth OBD adaptor.

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    honda won't be able to adjust the guage, it moves in set increments according to calculated temps from the ECT 1 and 2 sensors. what do you considder as normal temp on the guage? as a honda mechanic my self it id difficult to judge the exact ammount of incriments on the guage other than to say it correlates to the temp recorded directly to the ECU via data list using a HDS. regards being 2 notches below normal within 0.2 miles. this will depend on driving style, ambient temp etc. please bare in mind your honda engine is in "warm up" and is injecting more fuel than normal in order to bring your engine up to its most efficiant temp as quickly as possible. it all to do with basic combustion principals and engines are most efficiant at a set running temp. Some things you can over think and this is one of them. Enjoy your new honda buddy its working a ok..

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There you have it nothing to be concerned about! Thanks beefy.

11. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It looks like I have done Honda a great dis-service by the sounds of it. I've never had an engine warm up in so short a distance. I will still keep the appointment on Friday and report back my embarrassment.

12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the aim of a forum is to discuss problems and in the main put peoples minds at ease through likeminded people with the same vehicles/engines. no comments we made to make you feel embarrassed steve, sorry if it has come accross that way. nobody wants any honda owner to feel there is somthing wrong with there car when there isnt. are you leaving your car overnight so they can test the car from cold with you?

13. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No embarrassment from you guys :Thumbup: It was lack of knowledge of the Honda on my part. I took said motor into Honda Southampton. They did a full diagnostic check and gave it a clean bill of health. The temp gauge reading when hot is slightly below normal, but I'm assured that it's OK.
    After driving a diesel with a long warm-up time, it came as quite a shock to discover a modern petrol engine can warm up so quick. The higher revs on start up is designed that way, which was confirmed by your good selves.

Now I can concentrate on getting the under-body cleaned up, which was the subject of a previous post. Thanks for your comments chaps.

Ichiban likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent that out of the way and you have a Honda smile :Smile:

Lets see your new CR-V then please?