Engine & Gearbox Starting issue and turbo problem with 2005 2.2 cdti

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Alan_rth, Sunday 5th Jan, 2014.

1. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I have a couple of problems with my 2005 2.2 CDTi which are causing me alot of grief!

The first one is a whining turbo which has been getting gradually worse, a garage agrees with that so I'm just trying to find a way to replace the turbo without paying £1500 for a new one! Is anyone aware of any reconditioned turbo suppliers that are any good or have an opinion on whether this is something worth looking into?

The second problem is something a bit more perplexing which 2 garages haven't been able to work out so far. It started with the engine taking a bit longer to turn over when starting and has gradually gotten worse, the main problem is with warm starting but it does take while to start from cold as well. I replaced the battery initially with a non-honda one and it made it a little better but then with a few weeks it was back and worse. The second garage I took it too said that a genuine honda battery might make a difference so tried that (luckily was able to get a refund on the first one). Before they replaced this they boosted the battery when starting and the car started first turn without any problems at all which makes me think it is electrical.

I thought it might be a sensor problem but it doesn't give out any fault codes so they didn't think this was likely. Does anyone have any ideas at all as I'm getting desperate!! The only other thing I thought might be possible is if the alternator isn't providing enough power to the battery, I did have the alternator replaced a little under a year ago but I'm not sure if genuine parts were used. Just about to walk back to the petrol station to pick up the damn thing after it wouldn't start back up from warm. Hopefully letting it cool down will do it but we'll see!

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Alan

- - - Updated - - -

Brief update with this, went back to the petrol station after leaving the car to cooldown and it started so I got it home, had to turn over a bit to get it going but not for too long! Also to add to the above, the turnover does sound fairly weak to me compared to before the problems.

Thanks

Alan

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If the cranking of the engine is weak but you have a new battery and fully charged it would suggest to me the starter motor is worn.

3. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello Doc,

Thanks for your reply, I did think of the starter motor but there weren't any abnormal noises associated with trying to start it just sounds a little weak. Also the garage said it started fine when they boosted the power of the battery, if the starter motor is worn would the amount of power going to it make any difference?

I'll get this checked out though so thanks again! Out of interest do you have any idea what a replacement should cost?

Thanks

Alan

4. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Check your battery connections first. Does sound like your started motor needs a refurb . Shouldn't cost a lot to do.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    A worn starter will require more power to turn it over properly. So boosting it will effectively overload it to make it operate back to the level it should. If you have a starter only operating at 60% then if you over boost the starter by the missing 40% then it effectively operates again at 100%. That test should have told the garage it's the starter. It's not a very good idea though as it will burn the motor and shorten it's life. Also they won't rattle unless the bearings are gone. Usually they just make an abnormal humming sound when they burnt themselves out and completely refuse to turn. That's usually how they fail. Until then it will just sound like it's struggling to turn over as if the battery is nearly flat. Did you get the wires going to the starter tested to make sure there isn't a drain in the system somewhere?

I've got no idea what one costs. I'm not sure anyone on here has replaced one yet but if they have they'll likely make themselves known soon. You could try a second hand one if moneys tight. I don't think there is any change between the pre and post facelift models.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  6. rgrigsby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just wondering if there is any update on this as it sounds similar to a problem I've got, in the last 2-3 weeks it's taking a few extra turns to start from cold and when warm it's taking much longer. It got to the point this week were I managed to flatten the battery trying to start it when warm. I charged the battery over night just in case but had the same problem next day so I don't think it's the battery.

Mines a 2007 facelifted 2.2 CDTi with 92K on the clock.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    In addition to all the above points, it would be worth having your glow plugs checked.

8. rgrigsby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In the end it turns out it was a faulty coolant temperature sensor giving spurious reading that caused the issue, its been replaced so I just need to run it for a bit to confirm that has fixed the issue.