Electrical & Lights Starting problems on Accord 2003

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by accordk24, Sunday 11th Jan, 2015.

1. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ryan Oxford
    Well heres my story... I come out of Hond-R at 2am last Saturday and it flashed weird when i unlocked it. So i went to start it and noticed the key kept flashing and the car would only turn over. We checked everything from earth drains the lot, spent 2 hours on it.

I come back on Monday with an OE battery, but i thought id try it with the old one, started straight away. So i turn it off and put the new one on, it was doing the same thing. All i can hear is a relay clicking like mad in the fuse box in the foot well. @Beefy i got told you could shed some light.

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    doesn't sound familiar with a relay ''clicking like mad'' any recent mods or electrical work recently? I take it the problem is the car being immobilised rather than battery being flat? that's what the flashing green key is telling you, the imobilizer system is not normal. have you had any alarm issues lately? does it arm and disarm properly?

3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    had a nosey at your mod list. you have a flash pro and tsx ECU? have these been fitted recently or have you been problem free for a while? I would have thought either of these could pose a possible problem with the immob. only other items of concern are the key receiver and MICU unit. when the car is playing up, carrying out an immob system test can give a code relating to what is not normal with the immob system. can a HDS communicate properly with the flash pro and ECU you have fitted?

4. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi there thanks for the reply. No these havent been fitted yet. The car has been untouched for months, this is what i don't get.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's rather odd behaviour.

So just to be clear, when you get in, you turn the key to start the car, you a) hear a relay clicking away madly and b) the green immobiliser key remains flashing ?

Is that right ?

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    all I can suggest then at the moment is that a low voltage condition has caused an immob communication issue. without knowing what relay is clicking its difficult to know if this is related to the starting issue. with the new battery fitted is the problem persisting or is it intermittent/stopped? definatly worth carrying out a full health check and specifically carry out immob system status check.

7. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes but its intermitent, this is what i don't get. I got a feeling its the fuse box in the foot well. Imgoing to try swapping them over later and see how i get on.

8. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I put a new battery on it on Tuesday, still doing the same thing.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you changed your key fob batteries? They are CR1616 if they are low charge they can exhibit this intermittent situation.

10. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can try it, but i very doubt it'll be that as one of the keys only a year old...

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    After new batteries you will need to recode the keys to the immobiliser and then check. Then you have a common baseline to check for faults.

12. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Aaahhh right i see. Ill try a new battery. But im just about to go and swap over a few relays and see if that works.

13. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right just a little update. I just connected the battery back up after it being off for a week. Put the key in and it started as if nothing happened... What the actual the f? So i set the alarm and it armed fine, the immobiliser light didnt stay on either. I've just driven to Hond-R and done the same a few more times and still no problems. Maybe its a temperature problem?

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

When it happens, does swapping keys get it started ?

Like @Ichiban I'm still thinking it's an immobiliser/key issue.

15. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well me too, but its weird how its working fine now. I've tried the original key and thats fine too.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I had similar intermittent problems on my sisters Renault Scenic, new batteries in key fob cured that problem.

17. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a little update. I got in to my car earlier with no issues. Drove to my friends, the car was sat for about 30 minutes. Then all of a sudden the alarm was going off...

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate you ideally need the keys repairing despite the fact its working intermittently you have to take that hit. Also I would say like the car battery could be on low on charge too. Does your siren go forever? if so look at

Electrical & Lights - Alarm Siren sounds continuously

19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had a similar problem with mine last year it was not used for some time and I could not use the key to unlock the car electronically.
    When I went to start it all I got was a clicking noise, I managed to recharge the car battery and that seemed to solve the problem until I left it for a few days and it went again so I got a new battery from HH and low and behold its never happened since, so I would get the car battery voltage checked out maybe its not holding its charge.

20. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah it had a new battery last week.