Engine & Gearbox Starting RPM

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Tuesday 7th Apr, 2015.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew what the correct cranking RPM is roughly on the 2.2 ctdi? Some things are pointing me towards a slightly knackered starter motor and would be interested to know if its getting up to speed.

I am guessing it varies quite a bit due to conditions, but any pointers would be good.

Could be battery also.

Cheers!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also can someone recommend the safest way to prevent engine starting for diagnostics? Fuel pump solenoid?

2. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I don't actually have the answer but if the starter is slow to crank could it not more likely be a tired battery?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    As above, slow cranking is usually down to poor battery strength, could also be an earth issue or starter motor issue.

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Fully agree with SpeedyGee and Tonygw: a slow crancking starter motor is almost never caused by the starter motor, but by a bad battery or battery connections/engine earth.
    If you want to be sure before spending any money: check thorougly all earth connections from the engine and battery, clean the battery poles and than try again.

5. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Thanks guys, will look at the battery and associated systems next.

So far I have tried everything! Tested injectors, fuel pump pressure, glow plugs, temp sensor, coolant replace and bleed, still occasionally not starting when warm! Its weird.

At least I have ruled out the most expensive bits.