Engine & Gearbox Starts but cuts out

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Stuart, Friday 11th Sep, 2015.

1. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi All,
    '54 Tourer diesel manual, 149k.
    Couple of times recently, the car's started as normal but then cut out after a few seconds and won't restart immediately.
    First time it did it, I thought I'd tried to pull away in 3rd instead of 1st. Second time it did it, I hadn't even put it in gear. All dash lamps on as normal, no obvious dimming, no additional warning lamps.
    Each time I've I tried to restart straight away, it won't; engine turns over quickly but no firing. But I haven't turned the engine over for any length of time as I obviously don't want to drain the battery.
    Turn everything off and sit for a minute or so, turn back on and it'll start and run normally. Haven't tried sitting with everything off for anything less than a minute.
    Any experience/speculation as to what might be developing?
    Regards,

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fuelling ? what has changed on your car recently prior to this happening?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Could be a whole host of possibilities, fuel pressure sensor, pressure relief valve failures, other electrical gremlins etc
    - - - Updated - - -
    What happens if you hand prime it before trying to start it up again, does its start then or start to fire then ?

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Odd that a DTC hasn't been flagged and the EML hasn't lit up. The fuel rail has to reach a minimum 200 bar before the ECU enables the injectors so fuel is flowing under pressure to the rail, at least initially. It could be bad fuel, a blocked fuel filter, a stuck open EGR valve or something else!

When did you last put fuel in it?
    When was the fuel filter last replaced (and is it definitely the correct Bosch part)?

5. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi,

Thanks for all the help so far. :Smile:

Nothing. I've done about 21k since buying it in August 2014. I've never changed anything on the car. Fwiw, it's due a 12,500 service in less than a 1000 miles.

Not tried this as wouldn't have known how to do it. As I say, touch wood, the car has started after turning back on after turning everything off for a minute or so. Obviously, how to "hand prime" will be worth knowing if the car won't start after that; is there anything in the handbook (tried the index under "P" and "H")?

Oh, goody ... :Frown:

28th August, Asda in Inverness, filled up there before, no problem before.

AFAIK. The last 12,500 service was done by an indy where I used to live in Kent. He looked after my petrol CR-V for years without any issues and has an excellent rep. locally, so I've no reason to believe he cut any corners without asking.

"DTC"?
    Now you mention it, I can't say hand-on-heart the EML wasn't lit when the engine conked; however, certainly it doesn't stay on any more than usual (first few seconds after turning on).

Which'll be fixed by the upcoming service?

That was cleaned/inspected at the last service, chasing a problem I still have with something around 2,000 RPM - the acceleration is very reduced for about 200/300 RPM - better acceleration below and above. :?

Regards,

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    21K miles have you change the fuel filter?

7. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi,

I'm relying on the aforementioned indie but I've no reason to believe it won't have been changed/cleaned (as required) at the last regular service.

Hth.

Regards,

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm worried about the fuel filter. Many mechanics assume it's OK to fit any old filter from their usual supplier... but it really isn't on these engines! But fairly easy for you to look at the filter and see if you can see the word 'Bosch' (it's just below the hand primer bulb, which is under a cover secured by two 10mm AF bolts on the passenger side bulkhead (definitely mentioned in the Owners Handbook, as you need to access the bulb to prime the fuel system if you ever run out of fuel... diesels are like that!).

The other useful thing to do would be to get any DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) read off using an OBD2 scanner. Then delete them, then see which ones come back and therefore may relate to the current problem.

9. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Had this happen on an old Renault 19 TDi, after a full service inc fuel filter the new got clogged up again... So we drained the tank, flushed it out and put the remaining fuel through a filter and the amount of gunk floating around in the tank was ridiculous. Once cleaned out and another filter fitted... Sweet as a nut after that and was giving me 55mpg on motorway runs and mid 40's urban.

Fuel filters should be done every 48k, but I'd take that as an absolute limit rather than a guideline... In fact I'd change it now if you can't determine when it was last done.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Replace every 25k miles/2 years for the I-CTDI (with a drain at the intermediate service). But most fuel filter problems are due to having an aftermarket one fitted.

11. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi,

Apologies for the length of time since my last post - "John Lennon". :Smile:

The car conked out once more since my last post; definitely no 'engine problem' lamp displayed. However, it had a service at 150k, which included a new fuel filter, has covered over 3,000 miles since (albeit mostly long-distance) without the problem recurring.

At the service, I asked the mechanic (the garage owner) specifically to fit a Bosch fuel filter. He sounded a bit doubtful so I'd like to check that he did actually do it (on the basis that I also asked him to to put in 0W30 oil but his invoice shows "5W30" :Frown: ).

Here I'm possibly being particularly thick but I can neither find the "two 10mm AF bolts on the passenger side bulkhead" nor anything in the Owners Handbook about the "hand primer bulb"; as I say, tried the index under both "P" and "H"?:help:

Regards,

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Maybe it's under the section on fuel?

Those bolts hold on a curved black cover.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you add your car to the Club Garage @Stuart we would see it at the end of each post and not have to annoyingly go and work out what car you have .

Makes helping people so much easier (I almost thought sod it, I'm going to move on to the next thread) !

Anyway ... The hand primer bulb in under a little cover that you have to remove (the two bolts that are being referred to).

See this guide http://hondakarma.com/guides/fuel-filter-replacement-pre-facelift-diesel.9/

Last edited: Wednesday 25th Nov, 2015
    Zebster likes this.