Tyres & Wheels Steel Wheel Rims

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by linelink, Wednesday 22nd May, 2013.

1. linelink Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been thinking about changing to winter tyres this year. Can't see the benefit of alloys during the winter months and steel rims will be a lot cheaper. Now what I need to know is - Are there steel rims that will fit a 2013 CR-V Ex ?.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Chris

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: CR-V 4th Generation Steel Wheel Rims

No, the 4th Generation CR-V only come with alloy wheels as standard, depending on spec and size.

Not sure why you think steel wheels will be any better in winter though. The car is 4x4 and will work better with the prescribed alloys on rather than steelies. If steelies were better, then they wouldn't equip the car with alloys. No brainer really.

I havent seen any steel rims for the 4th Generation CR-V, the only other option is using 4x spare wheels - but then you can't drive at optimum speed with them either as they are not meant for permanent use.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

The first gen CR-V came with steel rims and TBH if you damage steel rims they are less expensive to replace so i see the logic.

But Honda hasn't made steel rims for the CR-V the weight may be the cause of concern.

4. linelink Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've noticed that the 3rd Generation CR-V was available with steel rims, other than the possible weight issue that IchibanAccord pointed out, I'm not sure that steels would have a vast detrimental effect on handling of the car. It could be said that Mag wheels would be better than alloys from a weight perspective, it may only be the price issue that Honda doesn't fit Mags as standard.

IMO, steels rims are more suited to winter conditions than alloys and far cheaper to replace given the extra wear an tear during winter months.

Chris

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As a new CR-V owner, I wasnt aware of what was available on the previous generations.

All wheels/tyres undergo wear/tear in winter months - alloys are not intrinsically or inherently any worse at all (depending on whether you have low profile tyres etc). It depends more on the way the said vehicle is driven to be honest. What model is your CR-V and what size alloys do you have?

I have the EX with standard 18" rims.

6. linelink Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the same model and wheels

Chris

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cool.

In all honesty bud, I wouldn't worry about it. The EX rides sublime - why change it? Appreciate what you say about the damage that winter can cause, but then we could extend that to the whole of the car and just buy a crappy runaround.

PS - if you can, please do share your CR-V pics. Would be nice to see! :Thumbup:

8. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom

I think the OP is more concerned about the tyres than the wheels they are riding on. Winter tyres give better grip in cold weather, but they wear out very quickly in warm conditions, so it makes sense to keep a spare set of wheels with winter tyres fitted, and swap when required. For the spare set of wheels, steelies make sense as they're cheaper.

The article below used a 4th Generation CR-V as a test car, and makes interesting reading.

Should you buy winter tyres: CAR puts them on test | Car Blogs | Car Magazine Online

OP, regarding your question, I don't think it makes too much difference what wheel you use, so long as the wheel/tyre combination has the same width and rolling radius. I would look for a set on ebay, or if you want to get a new set, try an online tyre place like mytyres.

A Complete Set of Wheels: Steel wheels with winter tyres - mytyres.co.uk

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

10. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom

I don't know what the winters are like in Gotham City, but I don't think driving ability has anything to do with the usefulness of winter tyres. Anyone living in a hilly or remote part of Scotland or Northern England would benefit from putting winter tyres on their car in the winter, regardless of what they drive.

I don't bother with them on my old beater CR-V, as it rarely goes outside the M25, and a full spare set of steelies and winter tyres would cost almost as much as the car itself. But I can understand why the OP is looking at getting a set of winter tyres - they're a useful investment if you're planning to keep the car for a few years.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Had to have a hearty laugh at that !!

12. linelink Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Winter Tyres for 4th Generation

For your information.

A while ago I asked about winter tyres and wheels for my CR-V. Honda UK are now selling sets, with Yokohama tyres for the 4th Generation CR-V, They've cost about 1000.00 a set - which i don't think is too bad for genuine parts.

Cheers,

Chris

winter tyres.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Winter Tyres for 4th Generation

Not bad at all buddy, I doubt we will have a severe winter this year :Whistle:

14. linelink Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Winter Tyres for 4th Generation

After reading some articles on the web, it seems when the temperature drops to 7c or less the winter tyres will prove helpful in avoiding problems. Of course they won't be any good if I get shunted up the a***

Cheers.

Chris

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Housekeeping / Threads Merged :Thumbup: