Suspension, Steering and Brakes Steering feedback - lack of

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Nikonandmac, Thursday 28th Jun, 2012.

1. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Love my Euro. Look forward to BEING in it let alone driving it , but ...can't help but agree with the odd review stating a lack of feel/feedback in the steering. It almost feels like understeer, yet sticks to the road like glue. I drive 18" rims on new Michelin Primacy at 34psi front, 32 rear. Used to 34 all round on previous vehicles. Am I just unused to a quality steering system or should I try different pressures? I don't want to go higher than 36 on low profiles if I can avoid it.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Paul,

The tyre pressure placard should be on the driver side B pillar,IIRC when I checked Zoran car the tyre pressure was at 38 front 36 rears for the same tyres size as yours.

I am sure when he will come along and get a picture of the placard so you can compare the two. The 8th Generation does have a dead centre in the middle and you will soon master it as you pile on the miles and learn the balance of your new car.

I prefer the hydraulic racks but with LKAS ,ACC CMBS and the rest of the Honda technologies they had to go electric,if Honda develops a hybrid elctrohydraulic steering unit the we will have a car balance like no other.

Never know we may see that in the 9th Generation Accord.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Paul
    Here is the sticker from my car
    IMAG0387.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to reiterate CJ's points - it took me quite a while to master the DBW (drive by wire) system, especially because of the dead centre feature coupled with ADAS/CMBS/ACC/LKAS etc. But that said, the car has a solid and very responsive feel to any flinch of movement.

As for the critics who state that there is no "feel" - well they can drop dead. They havent a clue what the hell they are talking about, let alone understand or grasp the engineering and technology behind the Accord. I wouldn't wipe a monkeys bottom with their "reviews".

5. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys. I'll invest in a monkey's bum for the next review, though bananas are hugely expensive over here and Immigration can be a bit£h. :Smile:. What's this 'dead centre' you speak of? A zone of neutral feel because there's no electronic input left or right?? I think you are correct; it will just take time to appreciate the difference.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for posting that Zoran. I'm running 18" Deltas but the matching sticker is missing so I've been using the 17" pressures, 33/33 (The dealer has the correct sticker on order but it's not turned up yet...). I've just pumped them up to 38/35 so it'll be interesting to see how it feels tomorrow. How are yours wearing? 38 feels too high...

Paul, I know what you mean. First impressions (I've only had it 3 weeks) were it wasn't as sharp as my old 7th Generation running 225/45/17 Yokos. I've had no problems in the dry, but I've had a couple of 'moments' in the wet on gentle bends where the front felt completely detached from the road :Aghast: (and before anybody accuses me of driving recklessly, or not knowing what I'm talking about, these are roads I use every day and know very well. I'm conscious of the fact I'm still learning this car so I'm not pushing as far as I would the old one yet).

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I may be getting 18 inch alloys on mine , I will have three placards for tourers and 4 for saloons which I am willing to give to members who don't have one.

8. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Might take you up on that if the dealer doesn't come up with the goods :Thumbup:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No problem. Just for your knowledge everything anyone buy a brand new alloy wheel Honda provides 5-6 different placard for all the Honda cars the alloys is compatible for.

Majority of the time people throw the slip in the box without looking at it.

10. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, I have some from when I had to buy a replacement 17" for the old one.

For the record, 38/35 on the 18s feels much better than before. The slight vaguenes about straight ahead has gone and feel generally is vastly improved.

38psi though. Still feels too high but hey, what do I know, turns out Vredestein recommend 2.6/2.5bar = 37.7/36.2psi - See http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/search/model/honda/accord/accord 2.2 i-dtec/108632

I'll just have to keep an eye on the tread centre for wear...

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I had a proper laugh at your first sentence, now gathering my thoughts

Yes it is a dark hole of no feel nor feedback the electric motors have been set not to engage at that point. I bet you have played car arcade machine you will know the feeling of dead center.. :Rolf:Once you know the bite point from the dead center and will automatically know the position on the steering to take the play out naturally and you will always have progressive feel. It the same with the organ accelerator pedal it has play before it bites.

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When i put my new tyres(if i find any at reasonable price:Crazy:Smile: i will experiment with pressure and try 36 front and 34 rear.I think 38 is too high but will see what happens.

13. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Agreed Zoran. At 38 you feel every deviation and the tyres can be loud.