Suspension, Steering and Brakes Steering Rack

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Wednesday 2nd Mar, 2016.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Guys,

I seem to be getting a knocking from my steering system. If I turn the wheel back and forth on level ground while not moving there is a very clear knocking noise. I have checked and the Inner ties and the ball joints seem ok. Also get a strange squelching noise as I turn the wheels from lock to lock (Off the ground by hand)

Any suggestions of possible checks or fault areas?

Cheers!
    - - - Updated - - -
    I think the steering rack is adjustable for wear, anyone done it, maybe a solution?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I don't think the racks are designed to be adjustable but I think adjustment can be hacked.

Is your power steering leaking from anywhere ?

A knock in the steering (with no play in track rod ends/tie rod ends/ball joints) would suggest a rack issue.

3. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Steering rack is adjustable, I have adjusted it. Sorted the problem out. Great news! Was worried I would need a new rack. Not sure how long it will last. Will report back.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear.

Can you tell us more on how you adjusted the rack please.

5. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Unfortunately I didn't take any photos. Underneath the steering rack gearbox there is an adjustment plug screw (Takes a normal 3/8th square wrench) which is secured in place with a locking ring. This is a 40mm ring.

The adjustment is quite specific. Found this on the Internet for the Accord, worked for me. You first need to remove both the locking ring (40mm) and the plug screw.

Steering.
    - - - Updated - - -
    TL19E00F00000057151KDRD01.

edj777, Simes, raza4 and 1 other person like this.