Service & Maintenance Steering Wobble Under Power

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Boggie, Tuesday 28th Jun, 2016.

1. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Evening All,

I have had a slight issue with the CR-V that is getting gradually worse so I want to resolve it:

If I am crusing at around 70mph and put my foot down the steering wheel wobbles as though the front wheels need balancing but when I lift off the thottle the wobble disappears. I know it is not wheel balancing as aside from the fact that the issue is not consistent and is affected by delivery of power, I recently replaced the wheels with a set of 20" and new Michelins. The wobble under power happened with the OEM 18" wheels and the new 20s.

Any thoughts please? Is this rear diff related?

Thanks,
    B

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have the driveshafts checked out, could be one of the front ones.

3. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting, I assumed this was the rear diff drain thing. Are driveshafts a common issue and are they expensive?

Cheers, B

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not sure exactly common they are but hey can go yes. In the overall scheme of things not too expensive to replace.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Normally affects higher mileage CR-V's. If it is the driveshafts, you can normally get away with replacing the inner CV joints to cure the wobble. I've found wheels larger than 18in on CR-V's causes all sorts of problems.

6. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers both. 52K miles and the wobble startwd on the original wheels; the 20s didn't seem to affect it noticeably. Will take it To Honda and get the airbag recall at the same time.