Electrical & Lights Stereo installation £60?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by pastore, Saturday 18th Jul, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    I just bought a stereo from halfords but there saying I will have to pay an extra £60 just for them to install it in my car. £30 service charge, £20 for a Civic stereo panel and £10 for some sort of cable.

Anyone know if its worth it or is there a cheaper place that fits car stereos for hondas? i live in London

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You need to check local car audio places where you live, I'm sure they will be able to do the job much cheaper.

3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can you not do it yourself?

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    First off, what stereo are you having fitted ? That would help us know what's involved in installing it. Also, to be perfectly honest, after watching someone fit my stereos, and then removing them again afterwards to take my center console apart, I think it is a simple enough job to do, as long as no special running / splicing of wires is needed. It's pretty much a matter of removing existing one, mounting new one, and connecting the harness adaptor between the stereo and the car's connectors. However, if you are not comfortable with this, I don't think £30 is too much to pay in labour (I have paid another place a little bit more for a stereo install - but then they do excellent quality work, so I am happy to pay the premium). Either way, you will need to pay for some parts

I've had stuff fitted at Halfords before, and it is a bit of hit and miss to be honest (first time the guy was utterly useless, second time (different branch) he was really great). At least they are (in my experience) happy to remedy any issues with installations.

The labour charge sounds about right, but the fascia panel quoted is expensive. Is it a single or a double din stereo ? Looking at the Halfords website, I see they charge £12.99 for a single din fascia adaptor for the 04 Civic.

It would help to know exactly what cable they are saying you need (example if it's a DAB stereo, then you need a DAB antenna, so £10 is very cheap (half their normal price). If it's a simple harness adaptor, then £10 sounds about right.

What is the make and model of stereo you are having fitted ?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's probably an iso cable Roger

RogerH69 likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I suspect it is Speedy. Never known Halfords to undercharge :Smile: And if it was a DAB antenna, they'd be charging for 2 cables (antenna plus iso cable)
    - - - Updated - - -
    @pastore - I'm just looking up what would be needed, assuming you are installing a single DIN stereo in a 2004 Honda Civic.

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@pastore - I checked the Autoleads website, which asks what car you have and what you are wanting to do, and then tells you what you could possibly need. I then searched Amazon for the matching part numbers and got the following -

You will need either of these Fascia Adaptors -
    • Autoleads FP-15-03 (Black) - £9.09
    • Autoleads FP-15-03S (Silver) - £11.04
    You will need a Harness Adaptor -
    • Autoleads PC2-68-4 - £5.54 (Amazon says this is for an Accord, but the part number matches to a Civic on the Autoleads website, so it will be fine)
    You MAY want these to use with steering wheel controls -
    • Autoleads PC99-X60 Stalk Adaptor - £23.14 (I paid £26.99 for mine, direct from CarAudioDirect)
    • Autoleads PC99-Pioneer Stalk Patch lead - £4.99 (from CarAudioDirect - could not find on Amazon)
    If you have steering wheel controls that you want to use with this stereo, then you would need a stalk adaptor PLUS patch lead for the make of stereo you are installing. These can be pricey though if you get them from a fitter, so I would recommend getting it yourself, and asking the fitter to fit it if you are uncomfortable with doing it yourself. The Autoleads website quotes part number PC99-210 for the Honda Civic, but the one I got for my 2004 Honda Civic Type-S (which fits and works perfectly well) is PC99-X60 . The matching patch lead for my Pioneer stereo was the Autoleads PC99-Pioneer Stalk Patch lead. These patch leads are specific to the stereo manufacturer, which is why you need then in addition to the stalk adaptor.​

Last edited: Saturday 18th Jul, 2015
  8. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This is the stereo i bought = Halfords | Pioneer DEH-1600UB Car Stereo

to be honest i might just go halfords today and get it sorted, it will save the hassle of finding someone else who might do it a little cheaper but they might be cowboys or don't know what there doing, atleast halfords are known company.

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Fair enough mate. At least you know if there's an issue, they'll sort it for you.

10. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

what you think of the stereo i bought?

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You won't get it fitted much cheaper elsewhere. Very rare you get anyone fit things for free nowadays.

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
  13. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sticking with halfords, what you make of the stereo i got?

14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

It's Pioneer so it's going to (generally) be well built. It's a basic radio that also plays MP3s, which is what most people generally want, and for £30, you can't really go wrong. At least if you decide to reaplce it with a different single DIN unit in future you don;t have to pay for the fascia and harness adaptor again.

15. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

its not a basic radio. its got a cd in it too and plays from usb and aux

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Oops didn't see that. Even better :Smile:

17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

So how did it go with this? Did you get it installed? What's the stereo like ?

18. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sorry forgot to update this, ended up going with halfords in the end, and i paid extra for a better stereo, i will take photos later and add it all in my garage thing, i will let you know when I've added it mate!

by the way - whats stereo you got in yours?

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I have the Pioneer AVH-X8700BT, as well as the Pioneer AVIC-F260 Satellite Navigation addon module

20. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

looks good, how much did you pay for it? I just added the photos in my garage of the stereo i got.