ICE & HFT Stereo+Speakers Upgrade. What and How?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by j b l, Wednesday 30th Dec, 2015.

1. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Whilst I really enjoy my ES-T it does lack in the sound department.

- Speakers: is there a guide somewhere to change them? I think there are 6 to replace. Are the ones in the doors a door card out job? What about the 2 on the dashboard?

- Head unit: mine being the es-t version it has the double din satnav 'aftermaket' type with the large screen, phone bluetooth capabilities etc... Albeit all very outdated. Is there a unit out there that you guys would recommend? Preferably one that will retain the use of the steering controls? I'd also like DAB.

Finally, the radio reception has never been too good. Could there be a problem between the aerial and the head unit or would replacing the current one just sort the issue out by itself!

Thanks for your input.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Bump. Can anyone help out @j b l

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I could do with a guide on removing the door cards at some point.

4. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Found this.

Now if anyone can recommend a good head unit...

Racy Jace likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Racy Jace likes this.
  6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Hi @j b l ..

My brother runs @Allwoods Audio ,, and gives preferential rates to members.

What sort of thing we're you looking to do..
    Upgraded speakers only??, amplified or just ran off the head unit??

I am not familiar with what the standard speakers in your car are but will have a look into it and get some options for you if you want.

Chris.

legend-ary likes this.
  7. Hi again @j b l ,,
    what year is your car and do you know if it has the factory upgraded system with amplifiers etc.
    cheers,
    chris.
    ( @chris2982 )

8. j b l Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, thNks for coming back to me.

Chris, my car is a 2010 model. It's the ES-T which means it's mostly the ES but with a double din radio, nav etc.

This one:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...2010+cr+v+es-t+interior&imgrc=JH50RAuwTnMU-M:

As opposed to this one which is found in the EX trim:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...2010+cr+v+es-t+interior&imgrc=NzttcHB3_RfWKM:

As for upgraded system, amplifiers etc, I don't know.

I just want a good, reliable head unit that links with the steering controls, my iphone, ideally takes SD cards and CDs and perhaps sat nav but to be fair my phone does a good job there.
    Not fussed on rear view camera.

Good quality speakers for the 2 dashboard ones (tweeters?), 2 front doors and 2 rear doors. Perhaps 2 ways speakers. I don't want to add a subwoofer in the boot.

Thanks

9. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    this is the only setup I can find for your car
    B__1605.
    maybe someone more familiar with the honda standard equipment may be able to confirm/help.

as for a new system you could consider a set of components up front replacing doors and tweeters, and a set of coax in the back ,, all utilising the factory placement.
    you could power these from your new head unit (whichever you decide on) or for a bit extra kick mount a small 4 channel amp under the passenger seat.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I am in the middle of a nightmare at the mo trying to find a harness to use the steering wheel controls for mine.
    - - - Updated - - -
    personally I would forget about the rear speakers and just go with a quality set of components up front with a decent little amp.

j b l likes this.
  10. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

as above don't bother with the rears due to poor placement
    the placement in the front is not ideal either ... to get the best sound you would need to do a custom speaker install on the A-pillars

in saying that i changed my speakers to Rainbow speakers (components) up front ... did not bother amping at this point. However done plenty of sound deadening on the doors ; left the rears and sub underneath passenger seat alone. so far the headunit can drive the speakers ok but i did notice that you have to turn the volume up a bit more to drive em

i think they are 6.5" size.

well worth upgradeing