Suspension, Steering and Brakes Sticking rear brakes

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by RobsyUK, Saturday 16th Apr, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    My rear brakes were defiantly binding as they stank and I can see score marks on these new discs.
    I took them apart yesterday and the sliders go in and out with no problems.
    The pads and shimms had no grease on them at all and the rear pads have about 2mm left.
    While I had the pads out and cleaned the shimms and surrounding areas both rear discs spin freely with only a slight scratching noise from the passanger side when a certain part of the disc goes around.
    Both Pistons were out about half inch and took quite a bit of force to get the back in. * should they go in easily?
    If the calipers are seezed I'd rather replace the whole assembly as I don't have the tools to replace the piston & seals.

While getting the calipers changed I may as well change the brake lines for braided and the fluid at the same time.

Is there a Honda specific brake fluid or is there better out there?

2. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

And can someone tell me the spec for the standard disc size, thickness etc.
    There's several calipers on the market and cheaper ones are for smaller discs? (Crazy)

3. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

image. I'm going to order these Monday unless someone says they are the wrong ones. Just need some calipers and braided lines now

4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did the rear disc and pads a month ago. The caliper piston went in with a g-clamp with very little force.

Getting the discs off is a PITA as the handbrake shoes get in the way even when the handbrake is off. You are supposed to poke a screwdriver through a hole in the disc and turn the shoe adjuster to slacken them.

I couldn't see the adjuster so resorted to screwing bolts into the provided holes in the disc to pry them off. As a last resort I hammered one disc of with a rubber mallet!

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Personally, I would go for either Brembo or Ferodo, or OEM.

The sticking generally comes from the piston itself. The pistons should go back inside the caliper with relatively little force. If you have to apply a lot of force, then thats not right. Calipers are simple things really, if its not the slider pins, its either the piston, or a blockage within the brake hose. Only ever had a blockage in a hose once before which puzzled me for ages until I figured it out.

Personally, when the wifes EP2 front caliper seized, I just replaced the entire unit despite knowing how to strip down calipers and rebuild them. Its just easier. Regular bleeding of brake fluid helps prevent the calipers seizing.

6. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've messed up and the rear discs are new. It's the front that are low.
    The rear pads are low and it's rear calipers I need.
    I am considering braided hose lines while there and it forced them to replace the brake fluid.

7. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The cheapest braided lines on eBay are £80! a bit pricey if you ask me.

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    If you are going to replace the lines....forget about the word cheap. Get a decent brand. They are your brakes after all and its the one of a few areas you shouldnt go cheap on.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I would only get a reputable brand.
    I Can assure you that with a 10 month old son nothing is done cheap when it comes to safety.

I do however like to find the same item under s different name like the calipers :Wink:

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's just not worth cutting corners with brakes and tyres. :Niceone:

Nighthawk likes this.