Suspension, Steering and Brakes Sticky handbrake?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by bijomaru, Thursday 21st May, 2015.

1. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Was driving to work few days ago, stopped at traffic lights, suddenly smoke coming from my rear O/S wheel. Got the AA to come take a look and they diagnosed as hand brake cable not retracting properly. He showed me when you pull the hand brake lever and then release it, the spring at the rear wheel doesn't go all the way up.

Now have the car in my garage ready for some work. Had discs and pads on order anyway, looking to getting them done. Now everything is here I will start working on it in the evenings.

What to look out for when we come to diagnosing the cause of cable not retreating all the way back? Could it something within the caliper or do I look elsewhere? Had the left cable replaced approx. 2 years ago after it had snapped.

Just before this recent issue, I've noticed the handbrake lever had a bit of play, an inch before it had any resistance and it would start catching. Now the handbrake has no play, but still about an inch movement before it clicks.

We'll do the usual inspection and maintenance as in the guides from forum, but not sure where to look for the handbrake issue.

Any suggestions?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Most like it's the mechanism on the caliper that is jammed. Water gets passed the seal and rusts the lever, so it doesn't retract.

Have a look at this thread which has pointers to other threads

3. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    @SpeedyGee was there supposed to be a link? :Smile:

I guess the mechanism you're referring to is the spring, etc that's behind the caliper?

Thanks

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    bijomaru and Nels like this.