Pre-Purchase Stiff Clutch on 2.0 i-VTEC

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Oscar11, Friday 8th Aug, 2014.

1. Oscar11 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oscar11
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but need some help :SOS:

Im looking at getting my first accord and found what looks like a good deal. Its a 2007 Executive 2 litre petrol model in perfect condition inside and out with 45k miles on the clock. One owner although his wife has been driving it for the last two years.

There is only one problem, the clutch seems a bit stiff and my mechanic inspected everything and said that the clutch needs replacing. Now my only worry is that the other Accords i test drove were all quite stiff compared to the cars I have driven so far and seemed quite a task to shift gears. Is this common with the petrol Accords 7th Generation? And if I was to get a second opinion and confirm that I need to change the clutch if I buy the car what are the components and how much on average will it set me back?

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've never really noticed an Accord clutch to be "stiff", really depends on what you are comparing it to. I can't imagine that all the cars you have tested actually have stiff clutches.

What do you normally drive ?

3. Oscar11 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oscar11
    Had a vauxhall astra 17 diesel. Im still going to get a second opinion but looking around for what I would need and how much
    / where I could get from !

4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Oscar:welcome:

Like Speedy says I've never noticed Accord Clutches to be stiff. My brother jokes on that it feels like there is nothing there when he has driven my Accord - he's used to Impreza STi though and they have really beefed up clutches so naturally have a heavier action.

All Accord controls are perfectly weighted in their action - some say that the earlier versions of electric power steering are lacking in feel but they're not bad and this was a common characteristic on these systems across the board when they first came out. Accord even at that time was still probably one of the best systems.

One thing I will say though - as a relatively new I-DTEC driver I still find the clutch action different than petrol Accords. Not any worse - just different. That will be because it's beefed up to cope with I-DTEC torque but still I wouldn't describe it as heavy or stiff.

Gear change should be smooth as silk and a joy to operate. The difficulty in selecting gear could just be down to clutch wear or adjustment being required. A manual transmission fluid change does wonders for Accord gearbox as well.

All Hondas seem to thrive on fresh fluids - clutch fluid, engine oil, gearbox oil - it's amazing, even if you think the car is running perfect, it's amazing what a service and fluid change will do to make the car even better.

I've noticed this over the years. My Accord goes in for a service and I'm thinking it is running great - which it is but get it back after servicing and the difference is amazing.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm not too sure on clutch replacement cost as I do all my work myself.

OEM clutch kit costs about £150, non OEM would be cheaper than that, then you need to add about 3 hours labour on top.

6. Oscar11 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oscar11
    Perfect. How much would a clutch cost me and any decent online shops in uk/europe? Might be worth trying a service first and see if it improves.

7. Oscar11 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oscar11
    Thanks guys any online shops recommended in uk/europe?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Our club sponsor Holdcroft Honda based in Stoke-on-Trent will give you the best price on OEM parts (with HondaKarma club discount and free postage)

9. Oscar11 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oscar11
    Thanks will check it out

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  11. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

My clutch its quite stiff on my 2.4 accord. When I first got it I found the gearbox quite notchy and clunky to change gears. I changed the clutch fluid which kind of helped but there is also adjustment on the clutch pedal to push the rod further into the master cyclinder a tiny amount, I adjusted this and it made a big difference. I think maybe I had very mild clutch drag causing the notchy gears. There is an adjustment nut on the rod of the master cylinder attached to the top of the clutch pedal. You need to be very flexible to get yur head under the dash to see and adjust it but its easy to do.
    I also got the gearbox fluid changed, only about 1 litre came out apparently and and I replaced with the Honda fluid. Again this definitely helped things.

cheers
    Tony

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My 2.4 7th Generation has a very light clutch, in fact compared the MPS (which is stiff until half way then lightens for a bit then goes stiff again, making town driving a little annoying) I come close to stalling it sometimes as I can hardly feel it! Definitely worth investing further me thinks :Smile:

13. Oscar11 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oscar11
    Yep. Got it :Smile:

The clutch isn't that much of an immediate issue. Took it to two guys who said that its got a bit left before it starts slipping. Found a local garage now owned by a Honda enthusiast and taking it in next week to fix a minor power steering fluid leak and to see if anything else needs seeing to. It was last serviced in Feb so shouldnt be any other major issues. Thanks for the help y'all and sorry didnt log on earlier - been too busy driving :Smile:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds