Suspension, Steering and Brakes Stiff ride - shock absorbers replacement?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by bijomaru, Monday 30th Dec, 2013.

1. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Next thing I want to get sorted is to bring back some of the comfort of the car. It's not the same beast as it used to be after nearly 200k miles. Would replacing shock absorbers help or is it springs as well? Has anyone done it and are there any suggested brands to use? Don't mind aftermarket and maybe lowering the car a tiny little bit :Wink:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If anything I would have thought a worn suspension would be softer than it was originally ??

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I recently replaced my front shockers and It stiffened the front end up a lot but the old ones were leaking so I doubt new shockers would give a smoother ride.

4. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Hmm. Didn't think of that. Well then I guess no need to change them as they're not leaking. And getting lowering springs would make it even worse :/ Why do I think the ride was more comfy when I bought it? :Search:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can you remind me what tyres you have and what pressure you maintain them at ?
    Tyre choice and air pressure can affect the ride too.

6. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Front:
    Firestone TZ300 alpha
    205/55 R16

Rear: (need to get new pair soon, will be putting back 205/55 R16 ones)
    Falken ZE912
    225/55 R16

7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Not sure if I described my problem very well. Maybe it's not stiffness of the suspension. It behaves well on road and in turns in general. However any rough road surface can be felt throughout the car. There's a section of bad surface near me, where new layer of tarmac was laid perpendicular to direction of travel. You can feel it in other cars as well, but it's more absorbed by the suspension.

So even if new shocks are stiffer, would they absorb these kind of irregularities better?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    On your complete shock assembly with your mileage you will find the damper which will be weak.. since it can't dampen the bumps that easily the outer spring is working overtime that is why your ride is harsh.

I would replace the entire strut and you will get your comfort back.

9. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

By entire strut you mean damper and springs then?

I guess complete A-Spec would fix it? :Whistle:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Yes mate I do mean that.. Aspec will be a good fix if you can get them at a reasonable price also check ARB , compliance bushes, and other bushes for wear and tear too.

11. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Will have a good look over the weekend. Hoping to do front brakes if weather permits, so will look at the suspension. Then I guess I need to give HH a ring.

Cheers buddy!

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rob did you get a price fella? it will be expensive if you can get them from Honda for diesel cars.

13. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

No, not yet. It looks like a wet weekend so probably will not want to go out unless necessary. Brakes and checking bushes may need to wait.

Are they in region of £400-£500 if they had any in stock? Aftermarket kits are £550+ but then I don't want ot modify it too much. I am aware it's still a diesel ... Maybe I should just get stock shock and shorter springs? Don't want full sports mod as well too affect my insurance. You know my renewal is due this month and did some quotes, and if I take the remap off it will save me ~£300? Considering taking it off but not sure how much I will miss it ...