Facelift Model Still looking for right car

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by kes, Wednesday 17th Sep, 2014.

1. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone,

If anyone has a black facelift 2.2 EX for sale please let me know.

Went to see one today 3 hours away which I put a deposit down over the phone as was meant to be mint but turned it down. I have a few questions
    Is it normal for them to rust in the wheel arch and door sills? It was very slight surface rust but I'm sure over time would get worse.
    The clutch pedal was squeeky when driving but not when car is off?
    The ac was blowing warm and the car had been regassed in the past (I didn't check the date). Is this common?
    Just wanted to know incase I come across this again.
    The nail in the coffin for that car was had a service gap of 4 years and 55k miles.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Your post seems to have been lost amongst the wayside :Whistle:
    • Rust on the wheel arches is not a common problem that I've seen mentioned by our FR-V owners, but this member seems to have had a few issues mainly relating to the windscreen, arches are mentioned as well. I wouldn't consider this common.
    • The clutch pedal squeak is well documented on several Honda models that launched around the early to mid 00s, it's usually down to the master clutch cylinder, though @Nighthawk recently tracked his down to the slave cylinder. If you have a search on the board you will find numerous threads covering it, a blueprint replacement solves the problem.
    • A/C compressor issues aren't particularly common, though you do here of them time to time. It's hard to say without knowing if it truly had been regassed (without a receipt as proof, sellers claim are always best taken with a pinch of salt).
    Service gap of 4 years is definitely a huge worry point, I think you made the right call. People often buy used Hondas which have been neglected like that and expect them to be "bulletproof" like the rest, unfortunately that's not always the case. Owner neglect will get at any car, even from the most reliable brand.

kes likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That sounds like one neglected example, you did well to avoid it. FSH is an absolute must on a diesel. Shame it wasted a whole load of your time though.

kes likes this.
  4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Apart from the squeaky clutch, not got any of those problems on my 06. Owner neglect as suggested and the right call by you I think.

kes likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just have a look at the TSB section and make sure all the work has been done, if you are buying for a Honda dealer get them to do a print out of warranty claims from MaRIS for peace of mind.

Remember if you don't ask you will sleep walk into buying a potential lemon despite being a Honda. If you need help shout out.

DeviateDefiant and kes like this.
  6. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    I also have that identical clutch squeak. I am going to the dealer under warranty to see what their fix is, will report back.

Plenty of FR-V's around at the moment.....sounds like you did well to resist that one.... Good luck with your search, they are great cars. :Smile:

kes likes this.
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Going slightly off-topic, I'm very surprised how well the FR-V is holding it's value. For the price of an early high mileage FR-V, you could buy a 5 year old Civic with lower mileage.

kes likes this.
  8. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Yes I agree!

I wanted the newest I could find. Settled on a 09 plate with 40k as it was a good price with 2 years warranty.... but even a shabby 08 plate with 60k was close to 10k on a Honda forecourt!

I think there they are a little Gem.... and "Little" is the key here. We sold our Galaxy as our eldest 2 boys do their own thing these days and wanted something smaller. We were out the other day and all 6 seats were used, 2 dogs in the boot and as I came out of the garage I had to pinch myself to believe that it was possible in a car barely half the size of a Galaxy. :Smile: It swallows huge amounts and drives like a car not a bus. A really clever car that Honda would do well to re-instate as todays market may well see it do much better than previously. I would buy a new version for sure.

They are also quite rare, and most dealers we called locally said "we get one occasionally but its never here very long". We had to travel 100 miles away to get ours.

kes and Bones126 like this.
  9. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    You just don't see very many

kes likes this.
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I agree completely, I think Honda definitely should consider a second generation model. The first generation didn't sell in any big numbers, but as the prices have somewhat come down it's been introduced further to the mass market and they have a better platform now to market a second generation to. The mother is quite interested in one, though the price difference between that, a Civic or a Jazz is holding her back at the moment.

kes likes this.
  11. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I never saw one until I bought one, now I see them everywhere in Brum. There is at least three local to me, starting to feel like an XR3 owner lol

kes likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Forgot you live in Brum Dave, yeah there's loads around here Lol

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Ditto on the rarity. I bought mine 2 years ago and had to go over 200 miles to Melksham for it!
    It had 24k on it, was a Honda car for a year then one elderly owner who put 14 k on it in the next 5 years.
    One problem - he must have spent every minute of those years chain smoking in it!
    I would have usually walked away there and then, but I had driven the 200 miles to view it - and it was a cracker!
    Told them to valet it to within an inch of its life, paid the deposit and went home a happy bunny.
    Now got 50k on the clock and only niffs slightly after being stood in the sun for awhile, and it goes as soon as you open the doors for a sec.

Squeaky clutch pedal? Yup, but cured last year with a fluid flush and renew.

14. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Interesting on the Clutch fluid flush and renew @FR-V , nice one. Will give it a go, can't do any harm I suppose.

kes likes this.
  15. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

At least I know the clutch squeek is a common problem but cure differs from lubricating pedal etc to changing fluid. Quite a few have popped up near London way but will be going Birmingham soon so might hopefully have one soon. London is 360 miles away from me. Shame they are all at dealers as prefer to buy private as can get a gist of how they looked after the car.