Body, Paint & Styling Stone chips...GRRRR!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by FirstHonda, Monday 6th Aug, 2012.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Anybody got any theories on what the best way to avoid stone chips is when on a motorway (I've done 500 miles today, and have evidently had FAR too much time to think about this...)

Most of my mileage is on either the M1 or M6, and I've tried:

a) Inside lane, and going a bit slower - in the belief that slower speeds and bigger gaps would allow the stones to fall before they hit the front of the car...:Whistle:

b) Outside lane, going faster and hopefully keeping out of trouble with less traffic and hopefully less stones thrown up...

Nothing seems to work...already have a few nasty ones after 4k miles. Drives me MAD!!

And as for people who cut in far too close in front rather than leaving a normal (sensible) gap...AAAAAARRRRGH!:Angry:
  2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It would help if the stupid Govt actually invested in our road network so chippings were reduced!

Sad to say but there's no cure for it. Either don't drive or be a weirdo and slap a car-bra/etc onto the front. I was proper paranoid when I had my new sports bumper fitted - thankfully its not chipped where I can see (dirt may be hiding it) but I have just grown to accept it as par for the course.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can relate to that my car was two weeks old I was in the near side lane coasting along and out of now where this stone hits my car. I have done all of the above ploys but like you it hasn't stopped it.

However there is one solution "don't drive it" :Niceone:

life goes on.
  4. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

You should see my car.Poland got some of the worst roads I ever drove on and road works everywhere.front of my car is covered in stone chips and I think only respray can sort it out.
  5. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I´ve installed a 3M - scotchgard folia at the trunk sill of my accord. It is made of polyurethane, is called "Scotchgard SGH 6" and nearly invisible - Never had any damages, scratches etc. since installation. I think the most suitable one for engine bonnets is called "Scotchgard SGH 12" - just found a video:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  6. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had similar problems. Mine was only three weeks old when I sustained a chip the size of your little fingernail on the leading edge of the bonnet. It went straight through to the metal as well so no idea what caused it - bigger than just a chipping me thinks! It was during the 2009 bad winter snap so think more than just grit was in the gritters!

Front bumper got a few chips on despite me also trying to minimise the amount of stones hitting the car as far as possible - I've tried all of the above as well.

Offside front fog light also a casualty. Just got to accept it unfortunately - especially driving on North Eastern roads; they're in a state and then they repair them with, you've guessed, loose gravel:Angry:!
  7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Only way to avoid it is to move to the US where they seem to have proper road surfaces.
    My bonnet is covered in chips, doesn't help that the paint is so soft,
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I wonder whether some cars are better than others at resisting chips? My previous VW seemed about the same as the Accord (very hard paint, almost seemed a bit brittle when I looked at the damage) but I had a Renault before that which didn't seem quite so bad...

Have seen some ads for Nissan X-Trail 4x4's that claim to have a "super hard" paint to resist damage. If that is true (and not just a marketing gimmick!) then surely all manufacturers should look at it? I'd be happy to pay a bit extra for something that worked.

Unless of course they fear that we won't all continue to change our cars regularly if they stay "as new"...:Wink:
  9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I suspect the Nissan paint could be a bit of a sales and marketing thing.
    It sure as hell wouldn't of stopped the stone that flicked up and chipped my bonnet, windscreen and dented the roof.

I think paint thickness must have a bearing on stone chip resistance as well. I remember going to a car auction with my grandfather years ago and there were some old damaged Rolls Royces. The paint must have been 4mm thick, I've never seen anything like it.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The front bumper of my Accord has continued to suffer from chips - no worse than other cars I have owned, but still irritating.

Saw this "Dr Colourchip" and wondered if anybody had experience of it or knew anybody that has? Smoke and mirrors or any good? :Unknown:

At least they admit that for larger chips you'll need to dab the paint into the chip and leave it...much like normal touch up paint, then! But for the smaller ones - the "road rash" as they call it - what does anybody think??

Dr. ColourChip UK touch up paint kit for chip repair on your car | Dr. ColourChip UK
    Nels likes this.
  11. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I have been looking into it as well because my car is badly chipped and need respray.
    I was thinking of giving this a chance when i finally respray front end Clear Paint Protection Films for Cars
    I don't know how effective or good they are but will try anything to prevent stone chips after respray.
    Maybe @wanner69 knows what can be done to prevent it.
  12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I also spoke with CoverTech Midlands - but sadly they only had a partial template for 3M VentureShield protective covering for the 4th Generation CR-V.

Naturally, with a bigger front end, it has chipped in a few places but nothing much you can really do about it. But that Dr ColourChip looks like a good quick short term and less costly fix.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Just looked at the Dr ColourChip. Seems quite good.
    Kept the info for when I do tackle the chips on my car.
    Not decided yet what I will use/do :Unknown:
    Nice find @FirstHonda :Thumbup:
  14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You could always drive around in reverse and protect the front of you car that way!! :Laughing:
    John Dickson, FirstHonda and Nels like this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Then I'd have a 'rash' somewhere else :Ohdear: :Rolf:
  16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Plenty of creams available for nappy rash!!! :eek:
  17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Ouch !

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Think I'll give this a try, but won't be ordering for a couple of weeks.

Assuming I do, I'll post up a review and some results - probably July time.
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ditto. I think this is definitely worth a punt although I do question as to whether it "fills in" deep chips/plastic that may have been cut out on stone impact. It might cover, but am not sure about the "depth".
  20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

To be fair they do talk about this, and the different results, on their website. Not too expensive though, and definitely worth a punt...