Engine & Gearbox Stop Start Turbo Protection Civic Type-R

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by tomwillie, Sunday 28th Aug, 2016.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    @Beefy I have been advised by a Honda salesman that on current Honda Civic Type-R there is an electrically driven oil pump to ensure turbo when hot is still cooled by circulating oil if stop start activates, is this correct?
    However, this oil pump will stop immediately if the ignition is turned off so it is not a turbo idler, is this correct?

2. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would have thought the salesman would have been able to answer this for you.
    If you are interested in the workings of the CTR I could possibly point you in the direction of a race team that have run one for about the last 6 months or so without any problems maybe they could answer the questions seeing as a Honda salesman can't.!!!

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You have a point there Mick , when do sales people actually enter the garage and know the technical bits on the engine.

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure they do know I rang 2 dealerships and also HUK yesterday about the mystery lump in the CR-V floor and none of them could give me an answer??
    Doesn't give you much faith now does it.
    Maybe these salesmen just read the technical stuff and put it into their own words and it comes out wrong who knows???

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    No such thing as far as I am aware. It's a mechanical oil pump that relies on the engine running to distribute oil flow. And no specific pump to circulate oil in idle stop mode. I'm certain Honda will have carried out longevity tests on the turbo units and determined that it being water cooled is sufficient.

MickyB likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I suggest Tom you contact Honeywell turbos they make the turbo for the FK2 you can get your answers from them.

MickyB likes this.
  7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can I just ask @tomwillie are you actually intending to purchase the Civic Type-R or are you just looking to ridicule its existence since it is something new to Honda that you think has nothing but problems which having seen it in the flesh both on the road and on the track I don't believe there are any issues with it.

moob, Nighthawk and Ichiban like this.
  8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I have asked this question & also in a separate post re dual mass flywheel as contemplating a used Civic Typre R.
    Some people on this web site appear unduly sensitive to any perceive criticism of Honda, need to look at other web sites where problems with Honda's are posted.

I know stop start will not operate if certain environmental factors are present & this could include turbo temperature.

However, if the turbo is water cooled then maybe no concern either about stop start activation after a hard drive or turning engine off without idling the engine.

Appears that only @Beefy is qualified to answer my questions which is most appreciated.

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@tomwillie

I think some members are sensitive to perceived problems being presented as real problems - the age old issue of opinions being presented as facts.

There are plenty of threads on HondaKarma dealing with actual problems with various Honda models. There have also been plenty of threads where a specific problem (often caused by poor maintenance) is presented as a huge issue, when in fact it isn't. In some cases, despite feedback from members who really know (never me I should add, I don't know one end of a spanner from the other!) they refuse to listen, and argue based on what they've seen posted on other forums / what a friend told them / what they want to hear.

I don't think that this is the case with your threads - and @Beefy has as usual given an authoritative answer - it's just something to bear in mind.

Anyway, as and when you get a Type-R I'd love to see it in the club garage. I don't think we've got one of the latest versions in there yet?

:goodluck:

moob, Ichiban and legend-ary like this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I have yet to meet a salesrep that actually knows any intricate about the mechanical workings of a vehicle on sale other than the basic stuff which most people ask. No negative reflection on them but they arent mechanics, just go to work to put food on their tables and do as they are trained to do. Want to know how mechanics work, ask a mechanic which is why we are graced to have someone like @Beefy who is willing to share his knowledge and expertise rooted from what I can only imagine stems from thousands of pounds worth of the highest professional level of training.

sawf1, legend-ary, Ichiban and 2 others like this.
  11. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Bryan Smith, the Service Manager of Norton Way Honda at Letchworth, has contacted Honda with my queries regarding the Turbo & Stop Start System & response is:

Dear Mr Williams,

I have received a response from Honda regarding your queries below:-

The turbo is water and oil cooled

Temperature sensors will inhibit the idle stop system if temperatures are too hot, or even if too cold.

Kind regards,

Bryan Smith

This is just as well as Stop Start System on my Type-R GT certainly works very well if left active, which I rarely do.

Zebster and legend-ary like this.
  12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Where is your Type-R GT ?? :O have you bought one??

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Before you got the reply:Blushing:
    wasn't that treading on dangerous ground then and why waste time with these threads if you've already made up your mind???
    Oh and please do add it to your garage so we can all see what the bother has been about

14. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Due to posts such as MickyB ET al I have decide to only participate in this forum regarding our Honda CR-V as there is another forum dedicated for Type-R users.

15. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So do you have a Type-R?

16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Noooo.... what about the rest of us :/ I am sure/hope he was just having a bit of poking fun and didn't mean anything serious.

Zebster likes this.
  17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No I think I was asking a straight forward question you bought a Civic Type-R before you got the reply from the dealership is that correct?
    If so then why did you raise the issue by means of this thread that responsible members have given you their honest and expert opinions on the matter but you chose to ignore and then still buy one before you got the answer you required !!!!!
    Even a simple soul like me can see that you have just wasted everyone's time and please if you want a good CR-V forum I'll gladly send you the link there's some nice people there experts professional and always willing to answer questions.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mickyb and his size 12's can't take you anywhere you.:nosey: