General Strange bang

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Wednesday 10th Feb, 2016.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Bit of a strange one here if anyone has any suggestions, but driving the Yaris tonight and when pulling out of parking and turning at the same time I heard a bang from the front like something had popped out in the suspension and the car started pulling strongly to the right. Did a 3 point turn and when reversing and turning it banged again and now feels fine.

Got no confidence now incase it happens again and had a look and can't see anything obvious. Going to book it in to be checked out as my wife will be driving with new born but any thoughts what has happened or what it could be?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Something got trapped underneath ?

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Would that cause the steering issue though? Should have also said because wife can't drive just now the car sits for a while until I get time to take it out for a run, the brakes keep seizing up and I have to give her some welly to get unstuck. I wonder if the pressure has put some strain on the suspension?

Is it possible that a ball joint or bush has popped out and then back in?

4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Some time ago my eldest son had a Seat Leon. I was driving it and a similar noise happened. Jacked it up to see that the front off-side spring had broken, just the very last couple of inches on the spring, so the car didn't sag at all.

Bones126 and Nighthawk like this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    You beat me to it @jimjams... i was about to suggest the same thing

@ArcticFire ... grab the spring and try really hard to rock it back and forth.

6. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    If when braking from what you said sounds like a loose or jammed brake pad ?
    But of course with your precious cargo, its not worth asking for advice, get it checked as you said.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Never thought of the springs and the car does squeak at the front when driving so will check that out. I think the brakes are just sticking from sitting for days at a time in the crap weather. Not sure what can be done to stop that.

If it is the springs I'll just get the garage to do it as spring compressors are at work and too tired at the moment to do it.

Cheers

8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it may not be a spring of course, but it does "sound" similar ....a bang, then squealie noises and clunky noises when turning the wheel, then ok for a few hundred yards, then noises again when turning the wheel, etc etc, but not always when turning corners, and seemed ok in a straight line.

9. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    sounds to me like the CV joint is worn and trying to pop out this would happen when you turn and also affect your steering
    when you reversed it sounds like it may have popped back in place

FirstHonda and SpeedyGee like this.
  10. Cadence Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It wouldn't be a broken motor mount would it? I had a van once that started making a loud noise and it was only when I was turning. If I was going straight it drove fine other than vibrating occasionally. It turned out that i had to have a motor mount replaced and that fixed the problem.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Could well be this.

12. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Other possibility is a strut top bearing, these usually groan while turning at parking speeds before starting to bang and mess with the steering.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Isn't some of the suspension parts on the Yaris notoriously weak, can't remember which part though.

14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

time for a sweepstake

exec likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Car made by accountants must have recycled all the ball pens springs to make the Yaris strut Not surprised.

exec likes this.
  16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    drop links! :Grin: every single Yaris in this entire world has them as advisory items.

exec likes this.
  17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just passed MOT as well! This Yaris was the last one to be made in Japan and bearing in mind it's an auction bought and 15 years old it's been very reliable which is why I'm happy to get this fixed rather than replace the car. Already at the garage so just need to wait now.

As said with a new born being in it soon with wife I'm not taking any chances!

18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I had two of 1.0 Jap ones (155,000miles and 208,000miles) and 1 Frenchie and other than the fact that sensors were different, there was a noticeable build quality difference between the two. Plus the Frenchie broke its chain at 98,000 miles so yeah althought I will get some abuse for saying this but these Yaris are almost indestructible.

19. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Had a 00 'Fun Cargo' for a while and it failed on the struts, when replacing them the entire top mount and bearings looked like they had been chewed on at the time of removal. Only good side was they are cheap and easy to replace. Never ending trouble with the MAF but otherwise a pretty good, but incredibly ugly Yaris variant.

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    That rings a bell!

I like the 1st Generation Yaris too, always fancied the T Sport version or a Vitz RS.

legend-ary likes this.