General Strange noise under the hood no. 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaran, Friday 15th Apr, 2016.

1. jaran Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, i'm experiencing for few months now ( i guess) some ticking noise after starting the car. It is present at almost every time i turn on the engine. Was googling about this but closest that i came to was the VTC Oil Control Solenoid Valve which was the problem on the next gen accord, not 7th.

Another thing is, i don't know if it is related, is when i accelerate over 2500rpm i get some kind of similar noise, ticking pace is according to engine RPM.

Video:

2. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Maybe tappets?

3. jaran Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh and I forgot to mention..valve clearance adjustment was made 2 days ago...

4. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Not qualified to comment really but could it be a VTC gear issue?

More of a problem on the later Z models of the K engine, almost sounds like something needs tightening up somewhere. Hate these random noises!

5. jaran Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Could it be chain tensioner? Car has 192kkm

DrSam likes this.
  6. jaran Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another video, car is parked, rattle starts at around 1400 RPM

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Can you feel any vibration?

Sounds like something is loose, like around manifold area maybe, manifold cover tray? Perhaps use stesthsoscope to find it or get someone to rev while you look inside the bay.

8. jaran Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is anyone here with k20a6 engine who could show me some video of 'normal' engine sound?
    This is another video under the hood

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Sounds to me something aint bolted on tight, maybe rocker cover? after doing the VC's.

Hopefully someone more mechanically knowledgeable might be able to pipe in. @SpeedyGee

SpeedyGee likes this.
  10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do you want honesty here? To me your engine sounds as rough as a badgers backside . It doesn't sound smooth and sweet like a VTEC should if I didn't know any different o would have thought that was a Diesel engine.
    I would consider getting the tappers checked again caus that's what the rattle sounds like yo me.

11. jaran Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Of course i want honesty. It sounds diesel to me 2. But only when i hit gas pedal, not on idle and it doest matter it's in gear or neutral. I'll get valve adjustment again in near future.

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Could your manifold be blowing? Does the noise go away when the engine gets hot?
    My HR-V was blowing and it went away as it got hot as it expanded.

13. jaran Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, they're not blowing. Actually the sound is worse when engine gets hot.

14. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I'm not too sure but I suppose someone will be able to relate to those symptoms

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    That sounds horrible and not normal for sure. Even my crude 2 valve iDSI sounds better. I think this is not something you want to put away for later as could be something serious. It sounded more like knocking but I'm on phone so might be mistaken

16. jaran Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Omg, is this it?
    Like main bearing knock?

17. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

With the whine and rattle together i wonder if it may be a pulley bearing? Not sure how to test that, will have a dig and see if i can find an easy way to tell.

Hopefully not a main bearing, fingers crossed.

18. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Damn! If you look at vids of K20's with knocking rods it does sound pretty similar :Frown:

If it were the case of a spun bearing it may almost be cheaper to pick up a tested K20A3 or similar "economy" K20 variant and swap it in rather than having your motor rebuilt.
    Not sure what motors go for in terms of price where you are, but a few hundred will get a K20A3 in the UK.

The two lobe VTEC K20's seem to differ slightly in power and torque figures but that may just be down to configuration of ancillaries
    (like inlet manifolds etc.) and mapping, either way it should most likely be a plug and play affair.

Sorry, just trying to think of cost effective ideas should it come to worst case scenario.

19. jaran Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just can't believe that HONDA fails me like that with less than 200 000 km, in last 3 years while i own the car ,oil was changed every 3000km. Sick

20. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Its by no means a sound diagnosis, i'm a complete moron when it comes to this stuff!

Like to try and help out though, just in case it is something like a bearing failure you could consider a swap rather than a rebuild, just in case it were to be a cheaper option.

jaran likes this.