Electrical & Lights Strange smell then strange behaviour!!

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by largewul, Friday 22nd Jul, 2016.

1. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland largewul Glasgow
    Sorry I am new here - but have had a LOT of experience with ny FR-V - but this has me stuck / worried !!

All of a sudden - burning smell from behind the dash - indicators go nuts and now alarm is constant.

Will start and drive (after releasing auto shift manually) - but I also have no central locking - and no dash lights...

I am wondering if all could be down to Indicator Control Unit - or anyone have any ideas?

I am going to pull the ICU to see if that is what is burnt - the relays??....will post more later.

2. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's weird, never heard of ICU affecting dash lights.

3. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Almost certain it's at least the ICU - but cannot get the damn thing to budge???

Fuse box loosened - I have disconnected the cable - and can feel the ICU - but won't seem to budge?

4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No need to loosen any fuse boxes. Take the bottom plastic cover off from the lower drivers side. Then you need to get on your knees outside the vehicle and use your left hand to reach underneath and prise it out.

5. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

will try again to,orrow

6. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Could it be as simple as a fuse popping?
    Have you checked them

7. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not checked all the fuses most of them - pulled and metered them - none seemed blown - the burning smell is pretty intense though....more so than I think a fuse...

Car will start - will not allow gear selection

Central locking completely shut down too now...........cannot open with key, cannot open any door apart from drivers......

8. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All fuses pulled / all relays on front of fusebox pulled - hauled on the ICU - just can't seem to get it to move - and it's definietely where the burning smell originates from.

Starting to think will have to take the fusebox out - or is it really just brute force?.....pull harder on the ICU?

9. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nope it's brainforce and remembering there is a lip around it - so have to prise away - not down!!!

If anyone is interested - here is a pic of the offending item.....board destroyed!!!

Need to go look for a new replacement now I guess............hope no collateral damage.......... 20160724_184123. 20160724_184138.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    woah that is a epic burn out you haven't got any aftermarket options or spicing and dicing happening on the wiring harness have you ?

11. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it's a family driver - no mods nothing - it's my wife's car

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Never seen any burn out like that on a stock car. I know the FR-V does not use multiplex harness like all other Honda's, but electrical faults are not unheard off in them. Seen loads of sensor failures but that is a first!

13. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just hope that is the route and cause of the problem.

They seem a pain to get hold of - and new is not an option........(worth more than the car!!)

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well what caused it to burn out is the question so it not the root cause really , replacing it OK but what if happened again is another. New spares will be a big cost hopefully it just a failed part and nothing else lurking in the background.

15. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the relays do fail regularly - I just hope that's it.....otherwise car off to car heaven!!!

16. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Oh dear - thats a major burn. Glad it stopped there and didnt take the car out with it. Best of luck with the search for a replacement board.

17. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Even 2nd hand they're pricey. Paid £130 for mine.

18. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes - I have sent out mails to every breaker I could find......sadly there was a large yard near where we live - had 5 frvs - and the guy says we always have them for breaking - but his hard has closed after 4 arson attacks!!!!
    - - - Updated - - -
    the only quote I have had so far is over £200!!! - I guess I can't put a wanted add on here either?

19. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went to eBay and searched for "breaking FR-V" and then rang the breaker direct and asked if they had it in stock.

20. largewul Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yes - been doing that - all promises and no delivery so far..