Tyres & Wheels Strange tyre wear 8th Generation.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Racy Jace, Wednesday 10th Sep, 2014.

1. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My tyres seemed to have worn badly in Four weeks! Today Honda pointed out that both front tyres have 4 mm in the middle and 1cm on the edges. The tyres have also cracked on the edges too. Now considering I slightly over inflate the tyres to 35 psi, regularly monitor them and 4 weeks ago measured them to have 4 mm across the whole tyre, what could cause this type of wear? I thought the middle was going to wear first so I find this really strange.

Surely this type of wear is down to a flat tyre? Can a suspension or tracking problem cause both tyres to wear on the inner and outer edges? I'll check the tyre pressures tomorrow now.

Pictures to follow.

20140910_192427. 20140910_192410. 20140910_192127.

Last edited: Wednesday 10th Sep, 2014
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Cracking and wear on outer edges would suggest under inflation.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Other than tyre pressures, when was the last time you had your tracking checked? Though with that you'd more expect inside edge wear than outside.

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The tracking was done last year. The tyres are cracked both sides not just the one edge which I thought would of ruled out poor alignment. I'll look inside the tyre when they get changed. That should give me an idea of what's actually happened. I'll also see what psi are in at the minute. I just find it strange the way the tyes degraded in 4 weeks.

I best start looking in to tyres. Talk about timing. This week has been expensive. 2 car services, 2 baby seats and now 2 tyres!

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear this mate not a nice surprise bill to get - tyres for 8th Generation.

Never seen that before. I have had slight feathering is the best word I can come up with at the moment on the outer section of the fronts before when they were just about shot (like the tread blocks were starting to peel from the rest of the tyre carcass) and sometimes slight scuffing on the outermost edge of the tread but nothing like this. Heavy wear in 4 weeks like that isn't normal. 8th gens particularly are heavy on tyres but if you rotate them even just once you should get 20,000miles out of a set.

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The front wheels were due to be rotated in a few weeks as they'd both got 4mm left so it's a bit out the blue to be told they both need replacing:What:. I'd even bought a digital gauge to measure them.

7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Strange one this mate. Sorry about my previous post I meant to say not wanting to appear to be teaching my granny to suck eggs when I was on about rotating tyres.

8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No offense taken:Friends: I'm sure they done over 15k. Maybe they just wear quick near the end of their life?

9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think you're right I've heard that before that tyre wear rate is not steady throughout the life of the tyre it increases as they wear and age as the rubber ages and degrades over time.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You're right mate, if it's on both the outer and inner edge then it does rule out tracking. I can't see it being related to anything other than tyre pressures that being the case, though you'd have noticed if they were out that badly.

11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The tyres are at 34 psi still. Looking at the pics, shouldn't the tread depth be measured in the vertical grooves not the lateral grooves right at the edge? I'll go get my digital tyre gauge and check them again.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just another chain of thought but is there anything you are using to wash the car with that could be attacking the rubber? Or a car wash or even something you regularly drive through?

13. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The tread depth seems fine to me. Obviously the cracking on the edges is slightly worrying. I'm guessing my trip to Wales must of been the cause along with the age of the tyres.

tyre-wear-explanation-diagram.

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 11th Sep, 2014
  14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I wouldn't worry with such tyres. Tread is perfect (4mm), and the outer treads do not count). Only where the indicators are located you should measure.
    Did you do some hard cornering by coincidence?
    All my tyres start to wear hard on the outer edges, but not in the main treads. And they last long!

15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

While I was getting the wifes car motd and I was shown the correct way of measuring so I know they fine. Ill be putting them on the back now anyway.

I havnt been doing any hard cornering but it does look like that. Could turning the steering while the cars stationary cause it? Its a little bit more awkward for me to get my car in and out of its parking space now due to other cars.

16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Well, Racy Jace, hard to Judge, but I am very used to such wear on all of my cars. Honda (Civic and Accord), Peugeot, Renault. I Always thought it came because I have the habbit to corner quite hard from time to time. And I'm quite sure about that in my case. My wife's Civic does not have such a pattern because she 'does not corner :Wink:'.

17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its the first time I've had a tyre wear like that on any of my cars and the Accords been driven in a relaxed way compared ro my older cars.. I can't recall there being any blistering when I checked the pressures before my trip away. I definitely didnt do any hard cornering with my wife and baby in the car. just did high speed straight line over taking when it was safe to so.. Actually I did have to do a very hard U turn while away but I was in 2nd gear and slowed the car right diwn. That could be it.

18. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    @Racy Jace dude.. can you confirm you put extra load tyres (98XL) all around (esp on the front). The car is front heavy which puts added weight on the front tyres.

I noticed in my Michelins that the outer pimples on the fronts have worn out way quicker than the ones in the back

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  19. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ill look tomorrow. I can't remember if theyre XL ir not.

I did notice today that when I pull into a side street at 20mph. I do turn in sharply in stead of being smooth. The tyres never screetch or slip but I can see that it may scrub them up quicker.

The tyres are coming up to 2 years old with 15k on them so thats not too bad. My rears had only worn about 1.5mm so im expexting another 10k once rotated

My tyres are 225/50/17 98W. It doesnt say XL :Unknown:

Last edited: Tuesday 16th Sep, 2014
  20. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    I think all tyres with load rating 98 are extra load tyres. For this size, regular load tyres have load rating of 94. For my tyres, it just says Extra Load somewhere on the sidewall and I've always assumed it means XL by default.

Some of the experts may divulge on this more but I guess the camber & castor may have something to do...

We should have a poll to see how many miles people get from a set of tyres?