Engine & Gearbox Strange Whining Noise from Near Side

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Grahame_E, Sunday 22nd Feb, 2015.

1. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'm a little concerned about my Accord (8th Generation 2ltr Petrol).

On a couple of occasions in the last couple of weeks when pulling away from stationary it's almost as though there is nothing happening the car appears to struggle to move forward, when it's happened I've given more revs and it picks up and moves off.

Fearing a possible clutch issue I did the old fashioned clutch test, handbrake on, third gear and try to pull away, no screaming noise or raised revs and the car stalled so I figure my clutch is Ok although the clutch pedal does seem a little higher than it used to be.

Then, yesterday parked on a very small incline I pulled away to my left and heard a weird noise coming from the near side front of the car, as soon as I'd pulled away the noise went away and the car was fine, then about 20 mins later in a traffic jam it did it again as I pulled out to go around a parked bus, the noise appeared to come from the same area but on this occasion I was going right to steer around the bus. Again all ok once I was moving again.

As far as I can tell the noise only happens when pulling away but not everytime. After about 2 hours parked up it was fine on the journey home.

I used to have a Skoda Octavia which, with the air con on would cause the steering rack mounts to heat up and squeek/make a rubber on metal type of noise. I normally leave the aircon in the Accord set to Auto with the dual option on also. I turned these off on my return journey yesterday but I can't say if these being on or off would cause any noises from the engine bay or not.

My accord is a Sept 2008 model and is just coming up for 31k, I use it every day to get to / from work, a journey of about 6-7 miles each way and then at weekends, I don't consider it to be a well used car and despite the age do not expect the gearbox or clutch to be at fault although I am no expert.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they's experienced anything similar on their Accords, the noise I am getting is hard to describe really but I would liken it to something a slipping belt could make but there are no belts on the nearside of the engine so I doubt it's a belt, when it happens there is no juddering or lurching so a bit mysterious really.

Thanks

Grahame

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    May be the clutch release bearing ?

3. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I think I'll call my dealer tomorrow and book it in to be checked would rather get it diagnosed and fixed before it breaks down on me. Best put my plans to buy an ipad on hold for a while..

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The noise will gradually get worse but it won't fail it will only make noise in first gear on gradients or when its damp other than that its annoying.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    When my clutch release bearing started getting bad it was also squarking in 2nd, and very occasionally in 3rd. Most often at the bite point when pulling off in 1st.

6. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks chaps I appreciate your help. As mine is barely noticeable at the moment and now I know that it won't cause a breakdown I may wait until it's far more noticeable before I take it in, I think if I took it now the dealer will either not find a fault or tell me to wait until it gets worse.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    My noisy release bearing (on my 7th Generation) actually cured itself and I barely hear it any more :Smile:

8. Grahame_E Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I decided to hold off a trip to my dealer for now but this week so far I've not heard the noise again at all. I can't say it's resolved itself but I am hoping what I heard last weekend may have been a isolated occurrence. Will see with time I guess.

Would I be right in thinking that a release bearing replacement may as well mean a replacement clutch as would imagine getting to it would require same amount of work as swapping out a clutch.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You're exactly right there, the sub-frame needs to be dropped so that the gearbox can then come out to access the clutch/flywheel.